Facts, Not Fiction

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

With the return of sustained warm weather in OK, I have resumed and upped my walk/jog regimen to include more jog. Funny thing, my legs have always outlasted my breathing but the gap is mysteriously closing.
    When I jog, I feel l am plodding and 50 pounds heavier than I am. When I speed up, it is less tiring and I feel much better but can't keep it up for long before my legs feel unreliable (and tired).

2. Collapse Details

Character quote from a novel:
    "When you are young and tired, you feel tired. When you are old and tired, you feel old."
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    2. Side-effects of true PEDs increase dramatically with age. Perhaps not too much at 43, but at 60...Why would anybody want to risk it? If they want to be morons, let them.
    Why is that? Is it simply that the body is less capable of metabolizing the drugs, or through some other mechanism?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by xw View Post
    Why is that? Is it simply that the body is less capable of metabolizing the drugs, or through some other mechanism?
    Two examples.

Anabolic steroids (testosterone primarily) have a shitload of vascular as well as potentially neoplastic side-effects. Those rise exponentially with age.
    Potentially increased clotting associated with hematocrit manipulation, ditto.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

5. Collapse Details

Old thread on old farts gets new lease on life.

6. Collapse Details

Dang! And I'm 2 1/2 years older than when it (previously) ended.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    Two examples.

Anabolic steroids (testosterone primarily) have a shitload of vascular as well as potentially neoplastic side-effects. Those rise exponentially with age.
    Potentially increased clotting associated with hematocrit manipulation, ditto.
    Makes perfect sense, thank you!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    Dang! And I'm 2 1/2 years older than when it (previously) ended.
    Me too and still I actually look younger. Yup it's great to muse on getting older, just find the silver linings. Turning 59 and get taken for a very fit 43-45. Tried Keto diet recently and lost 20 lbs and swam my fastest 400 meters since I was in my 30s yesterday.

9. Collapse Details

I perhaps should relate my experience in my mid-sixties.

My last race was in Y2K because of injuries. For the past six years, I have been getting cancer drugs on-and-off for Multiple Myeloma.

Because research shows that these cancer drugs are more effective when taken with a steroid, I have to take a steroid commonly known as Dex.

Currently, I get Dex once a week on Monday or Tuesday. It is awful. It drives up my blood sugar making me effectively a diabetic for about 36 hours, and it so wires me that I can barely get to sleep for a night even with a sleeping pill. Sometimes, I fall asleep around 4 AM and get about 2 hours sleep.

Fortunately, the effects do wear off by the weekend and I can still do my track & field officiating - as long as officials donít need to take drug tests. :-)

My own experience does give me one more reason to hate PED.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 08-14-2019 at 01:03 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

Because research shows that these cancer drugs are more effective when taken with a steroid, I have to take a steroid commonly known as Dex. ...
    interesting: when my wife used to have Dexamethasone with her chemo it was to control nausea and vomiting. Never heard that it was any kind of adjunct to the chemo.