Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 75
  1. Collapse Details
    old farts musing on getting old
    #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    beyond help
    Posts
    12,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki
    I am now wondering whetherI need to get a TUE as next month I am competing in the World Masters Games
    It never fails to blow my mind that the old farts also have to comply with PED rules. What's the point?
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    It never fails to blow my mind that the old farts also have to comply with PED rules. What's the point?
    Surprising question from you, Pego. Can't we all benefit from PED's?

    I'm 43 and of course don't consider myself an old fart. But even as I type this I'm scared to stand up. I mean.....standing up kinda hurts!

    But are you saying I couldn't dramatically alter my physique and performance with PED's because of my age?

    Or are you just comparing the old farts to the athletes in their 20's and saying, "Good luck! Use all the PED's you want - it won't matter."?
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    beyond help
    Posts
    12,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Surprising question from you, Pego. Can't we all benefit from PED's?

    I'm 43 and of course don't consider myself an old fart. But even as I type this I'm scared to stand up. I mean.....standing up kinda hurts!

    But are you saying I couldn't dramatically alter my physique and performance with PED's because of my age?

    Or are you just comparing the old farts to the athletes in their 20's and saying, "Good luck! Use all the PED's you want - it won't matter."?
    1. What difference does it make if you jump or throw a few inches further or run a few tenths faster? Your last sentence says it all.

    2. Side-effects of true PEDs increase dramatically with age. Perhaps not too much at 43, but at 60...Why would anybody want to risk it? If they want to be morons, let them.
    Last edited by Pego; 02-28-2017 at 02:02 PM.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    1. What difference does it make if you jump or throw a few inches further or run a few tenths faster? Your last sentence says it all.

    2. Side-effects of true PEDs increase dramatically with age. Perhaps not too much at 43, but at 60...Why would anybody want to risk it? If they want to be morons, let them.
    Gotcha! In other words, at that age they still can't compete with the younger athletes anyway, and there's hardly a monetary concern for us washed up farts.

    Funny, I've never been overly competitive against the other athletes (I guess because I usually wasn't going to win anyway). I just love the personal challenge and setting PR's. So I kind of lost sight of the point here. I'm thinking older guys could still take PED's for the same reasons - more impressive performances.

    But you're right. What's the point? If a 50-year-old man wants to do that to himself to break through a plateau that no one else could possibly care about, let him.
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indian Territory
    Posts
    13,629
    I'm with Pego. At some point, wtf difference does it make?
    During a modestly successful college and early masters career, I never heard of PEDs and would not have used them if I had... it was personally satisfying to compete well against my contemporaries/peers into my 60s but. it is kinda like who is least injured today.. who knew or cared?
    At age 85 with a tin knee, torn rotator cuff, seemingly permanently broken metatarsal, hearing loss associated balance problems, fading eyesight, etc., all my PBs are behind me.... who cares?
     

  6. Collapse Details
    old farts musing on getting old
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Gotcha! In other words, at that age they still can't compete with the younger athletes anyway, and there's hardly a monetary concern for us washed up farts.

    But you're right. What's the point? If a 50-year-old man wants to do that to himself to break through a plateau that no one else could possibly care about, let him.
    Speak for yourself. I'm 56, on holiday in Mexico, and yesterday swam 2 km in the Pacific Ocean in 31:49 and passed 1500 meters in 23:35. I started swimming (again) just 2 years ago. Did my first triathlon last September. I won't run as fast as Gwen Jorgensen but she won't put me to shame in the water. And this morning had a run with some miles just over 7 minutes....as part of a 10k run with an elevation gain of 762 feet.

    Who needs PEDS? You're either willing to keep at it and find out what you can do or you're not.
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    Speak for yourself. I'm 56, on holiday in Mexico, and yesterday swam 2 km in the Pacific Ocean in 31:49 and passed 1500 meters in 23:35. I started swimming (again) just 2 years ago. Did my first triathlon last September. I won't run as fast as Gwen Jorgensen but she won't put me to shame in the water. And this morning had a run with some miles just over 7 minutes....as part of a 10k run with an elevation gain of 762 feet.

    Who needs PEDS? You're either willing to keep at it and find out what you can do or you're not.
    I'm not sure how we're in disagreement here. You sound much like myself in the way you train and push hard, always ready to go to the next level. Therein lies my satisfaction, is all I meant - not defeating others. That is, I take great pride that right now my own athletic prowess far exceeds that of the average 20-year-old male. BUT, there's no way I can compete with a half-decent 20-year-old runner who similiarly pushes himself (assuming our talent level is comparable).
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I'm not sure how we're in disagreement here.
    I would hardly call myself a washed up old fart. I'm closing in on low 20s for 1500 meters in the water and have taken nearly 7 minutes off my best time since December.
    I feel like a regenerated breath of fresh air.....if I do say so!
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,409
    Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    yesterday swam 2 km in the Pacific Ocean in 31:49 and passed 1500 meters in 23:35.
    And this morning had a run with some miles just over 7 minutes
    Who needs PEDS? You're either willing to keep at it and find out what you can do or you're not.
    Oh, the ignominy. In just a few short years, you'll be whistling another tune. I was all that in my 50s. Mid-60s are a bit harsher . . .
    I'm still hard at it, but the pay-off is diminishing rapidly. I'll train till I die, but the reality of aging is a cruel task-master.
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    I would hardly call myself a washed up old fart.
    I was just being humble. Truth is, I'm an absolute stud!

    Except for what I said about standing up. That really does hurt.
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •