Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 60
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #21
    Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    The Armory is not a collegiate institution, and thus is not covered by NCAA restrictions. They can show whatever they like. Arkansas, and the SEC Network, have no such leeway.
    How does the Prefontaine Classic get away with showing amateur high school athletes in its meet?
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #22
    The Pre Classic (Oregon TC) rents Hayward Field. UOregon has nothing to do with the meet.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #23
    Cooper ran 3 races at the Louie Bing outdoor meet in Florida---10.81 in the 100, 45.45 in the 400--and 200 in 20.44!
    BUT---he was DQ'ed from the 200 ----for unsportsmanlike conduct!!
    He apparently made a "W" with his fingers as he crossed the line!!

    The time would've been the Soph Class record, beating Noah Lyles's time of 20.71 from 2014!

    He didn't do drugs, didn't kill anyone, didn't run out of his lane, didn't impede another runner!
    All he did was indicate he'd won the race---a typical teenage thing!
    For that, he was DQ'ed!

    Fair?

    I say a very loud NO!!!!
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #24
    Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    The Pre Classic (Oregon TC) rents Hayward Field. UOregon has nothing to do with the meet.
    So the Oregon Track Club has nothing to do with the University of Oregon? I wonder if the NCAA would see it that way if the OTC decided to give some Oregon recruit some sort of benefit (eg. meals, plane ticket, etc.). I can only imagine what would happen to LSU if the Tiger Athletic Foundation did something like that.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    So the Oregon Track Club has nothing to do with the University of Oregon? I wonder if the NCAA would see it that way if the OTC decided to give some Oregon recruit some sort of benefit (eg. meals, plane ticket, etc.). I can only imagine what would happen to LSU if the Tiger Athletic Foundation did something like that.
    I suspect that the NCAA has looked at this situation and cleared it. We're talking about a VERY visible meet. I find it hard to believe that Oregon's rivals would have let this go unchallenged if there really were anything going on that's contrary to NCAA rules.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Right next to a Gator filled pond
    Posts
    4,683
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
    Cooper ran 3 races at the Louie Bing outdoor meet in Florida---10.81 in the 100, 45.45 in the 400--and 200 in 20.44!
    BUT---he was DQ'ed from the 200 ----for unsportsmanlike conduct!!
    He apparently made a "W" with his fingers as he crossed the line!!

    The time would've been the Soph Class record, beating Noah Lyles's time of 20.71 from 2014!

    He didn't do drugs, didn't kill anyone, didn't run out of his lane, didn't impede another runner!
    All he did was indicate he'd won the race---a typical teenage thing!
    For that, he was DQ'ed!

    Fair?

    I say a very loud NO!!!!
    What also is a very loud NO!!!! is the fact that it is difficult to believe the time Cooper ran was 20.44 based on the race video unless the kid from American Heritage ran at least 20.8. So I have some sincere doubts about any 20.44 into a headwind in February for young Mr. Cooper.

    As far as the DQ is concerned, I offer no opinion based on no evidence.

    Hope this works:

    https://www.instagram.com/p/BQrnUdCD...n-by=mgxcoachd
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #27
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I suspect that the NCAA has looked at this situation and cleared it. We're talking about a VERY visible meet. I find it hard to believe that Oregon's rivals would have let this go unchallenged if there really were anything going on that's contrary to NCAA rules.
    I agree with you, but I'm just trying to find out what the rules are. Is it a state-to-state thing? One thing I noticed is that Armand Duplantis wore his club uniform at the Millrose Games but he wore his school uniform at the Texas Relays last year.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I agree with you, but I'm just trying to find out what the rules are.
    Sorry, but I can't help you there. I haven't a clue what the NCAA rules are about such things.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #29
    I agree with NotDutra5, there is a problem with the results.

    Cooper ostensibly ran 20.44. The 2nd-placer ran 21.22, and it doesn't appear Cooper was some 6-7 meters back. The next finisher ran 21.53. Cooper to 2nd seems closer than 2nd to 3rd.

    I'd like to know if the 20.44 was ever reported on the results sheet before the DQ was announced. If not, I suspect the 20.44 is someone's hand time, or a cell time from a badly placed camera.

    Something is definitely fishy.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,367
    Speaking as a certified Florida HS official, there's a fine line between taunting, 'excessive celebration' (both are DQ offenses), and just 'regular' celebration. Taunting involves turning toward an opponent, which it doesn't look tike he did. It also doesn't look like 'excessive' celebration either. On the other hand, what he did should not be ignored either, so I would have taken him and his coach aside and had a 'teachable moment' with both of them. No need for DQ (tho some of the opponents' coaches would have screamed for it and the officials were within their 'rights' to call it), but certainly a talking point.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •