Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
  1. Collapse Details

Makes me wonder how fast can Keitany run with better splits. She should run Berlin this year. I think she is capable of at least 2:16 low with even splits.
    Last edited by Juicy News; 04-23-2017 at 12:57 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Weightman's 2:25:15 makes her #3 a-t AUS. Jess Trengove also ran a good PB (her place on the a-t list remains #6).

3. Collapse Details

The men's race gives an indication of how hard 2:00 is. They went out at 1:01:40 and came home in 1:04:09 even though it was a race to the end and the top two were at their limits. Course was great for racing; little wind, 50F/10C, overcast. KB's prep was hurt by his fall, which set back training for a month or more, but still, it was barely under 3:00/km pace.

I followed, belatedly, the LetsRun thread, and unless I missed it they did not give the winning time in the men's race.

I thought Keitany had learned her lesson from her first marathon. Going a minute up on Paula's (2:15:25) time in the first half is not the optimal strategy. She gets the WR but not the Course Record, and not the less-constrained version of the WR.

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Also again how impressive Steve Jones was in 1985 1:01:42 and coming back in 1:05:30...All on his own.

5. Collapse Details

Thank you to everyone who posted as the race unfolded. It was nice to "follow" the race by reading the posts, wondering if Keitany would hold on, and if Bekele would come back.

6. Collapse Details

For people who do not read letsrun, I thought this piece of insider knowledge is something that I found very insightful and interesting from famed coach Renato Canova.

I can do my comment on the race of today.

I'm not surprised for the WR of Mary : during the last two days, I explained to many journalists that she was in the best shape of her life (I saw some training on track in Iten in February and March), and that a final time under 2:17 was possible. Already one month ago, in Kampala, during the WCCCh, I told her manager (Gianni Demadonna) that Mary, if able to maintain the same condition, could do something unbelievable in London.

However, analysing HOW she did this record, I have to say that she was yet stronger than what I supposed.

In the first organization for the race, when still there was the idea to see a duel between Mary and Jemima Sumgong, the pacers had to be Peris Jepchirchir (World HM Champion), managed by Gianni Demadonna (manager of Mary), and Sarah Chepchirchir (winner in Tokyo with 2:19), managed by Federico Rosa (manager of Jemima). When there was the new about Jemima's doping, the organizers recused Sarah Chepchirchir, and at the same time Peres had an injury, so Mary didn't have any pacers. Since I'm helping the husband of Caroline Chepkoech Kipkirui to become a coach, I suggested to put as rabbit Caroline herself till HM, for running in 68:00. Really, she had a wonderful job, running well ahead of HM, and maintaining a very much faster pace (66:54 at HM).

In this way, the two halves were 66:54 and 70:07, with the last 17 km totally alone. I think that a more even pace (67:30 at HM) and the help of a pacer till the end (how Paula had during the record of 2:15:25), Mary could have run around 2:15, bettering the mixed record too.

About Tirunesh Dibaba, all my friends working in Ethiopia, somebody directly with her (the coach Haji, and the physio Jeroen Deen), told me she was in great shape, ready to improve her PB of 3 minutes without any doubt (why sometimes there is somebody joining Tirunesh with Jama Aden ? Jama never had anything to do with Tirunesh, who was in Sabadell only for running a race of 10000m on track needing the limit for Olympics last year).

After the race, I can say that both of them have the possibility to attack the WR of Paula Radcliffe (2:15:25), with a smart pacing from a man and good race conditions (for example, in Berlin or Dubai).

Going to the men, I can speak for Kenenisa and for Abel Kirui, not about other athletes. I told many journalists who asked my previews before the race that Kenenisa, really, was not ready, because could not start running again till the end of February (due to the injury he had falling down at the start in Dubai, that became very bad after running for 20 km with pain and out of balance). Not running, Kenenisa increased his weight of 5 kg, so the training he had to do during the most part of March had the goal not to create specific endurance, but to lose weight. For example, we put in his training (I prepare his training plan, and discuss with Asrat Mersha, his local coach, the best approach) long run of 2 h 30, with the first 1 h 30' very easy (about 4' > 3'50" per km) and the last hour of fartlek (20 times 1' fast / 1' easy + 20 times 30" / 30"), because for Kenenisa is extremely important to have good feeling with a speed a little faster than the speed of the race.
    Never I put some of the training I normally use (for example, 5 x 5 km in 14'45" with 1 km recovery in 3'25" / 3'30") for increasing the specific endurance, but some long session on track (2 x 3000 + 3 x 2000 + 5 x 1000 + 6 x 500m) at good speed (not far from the specific speed) with recovery walking, in order to create the feeling with the technical way of running at that identified speed.

In other words, I used a system very different from the system I normally use, every day changing plan after receiving the feedback from Mersha, looking at the best solution at the moment, but without a real long term plan.

What I said (and several newspaper showed the interviews I had) is that, with the current training of Kenenisa, NO ATHLETES IN THE WORLD COULD RUN UNDER 2:10, but, being Kenenisa, I supposed possible a time between 2:05 and 2:06.

So, for who knows the real situation, the race of Kenenisa is another demonstration that he has a so strong mind that never can be compared with any other athletes under this point of view. His threshold of pain, his ability to read inside his body for understanding how far can be from his limites, are qualities that only he as at that level, and probably are the reason because he is an absolute extraclass runner.

My idea, after the race of today, is that Kenenisa, IF able to follow an adequate training plan for marathon lasting 5 months, can run near 2:01 in ideal conditions. The real question is : will Kenenisa in the future to have this opportunity ? His engine, and his mind, are still at the top of the world. Is his body still at the top ? Is his motivation still at the top ? Are his stimuli still at the top ? In this case, no doubt that with him and Eliud Kipchoge we have two athletes who are 2 minutes ahead the rest of the World.

Abel Kirui was arguably in the same shape of Chicago, and had a very honest race. Maybe he could have finish in third position (his duel with Karoki depended on very few seconds only), but the first two were stronger, and he was able to arrive ahead the World Champion (Ghirmay Ghebrselassie), the Olympic silver (Feysa Lilesa), the winner of Dubai (Tesfaye Abera) and Tilahun Regassa, all runners younger them him and with faster PB. His race was exactly what I expected.

Last consideration : I think the tactic of Mary Keitany was influenced by the recent WR of Joyceline Jepkosgei in HM, with a crazy race that brought the athlete to better in official way the WR of 15 km, and in unofficial way the best performance of 10 km (running 17" faster than Paula Radcliffe in a competition on the specific distance). When I asked Joyceline why she used a so suicidal tactic, she told me "since I don't know my limits, I always start very fast, so I discover when I go to die". And I'm sure that, after a day like today, for the top women the marathon approach will be more aggressive, since many athletes can now look at same split no longer with fright, but as a normal interpretation of the longest Olympic distance.
    From: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_re...#ixzz4f9u5Kn23

7. Collapse Details

^^ Thanks for posting this. A great read!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy News View Post
    For people who do not read letsrun, I thought this piece of insider knowledge is something that I found very insightful and interesting from famed coach Renato Canova.

From: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_re...#ixzz4f9u5Kn23
    You should do a couple of sentences and the link; the pieces itself represents copyright violation and if gh sees this he will remove it (you might want to beat him to it; I know you are relatively new here and do not know how he does the rules).

9. Collapse Details

There is a statement by

Athletics Kenya President Jackson Tuwei on Saturday... quickly denied reports that a “top” Kenyan athlete was in the cross hairs of anti-doping authorities for failing a test.

Tuwei said ... that many top Kenyan marathon runners were keen on being drafted in Kenya’s team to the IAAF World Championships in London in August. He said AK’s selectors will sit next week to pick Kenya’s marathon team for the London championships.

He also denied the report on a doping positive [via LetsRun]

http://www.nation.co.ke/sports/athle...v2z/index.html