Facts, Not Fiction

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    good grief, doesn't the Duplantis family realize there's no easier place to get married than Reno?!

oh wait, or is that divorces? :-)
    This is a CLASSIC!!
    And totally TRUE!!

LOL

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    I was thinking of cases such as 26m235's mom, and a couple of others I'm familiar with. The kids who don't speak English at home will eventually learn it, but they will initially struggle at school, so I can see responsible parents trying to avoid that situation.
    That's rarely the case these days, thanks to fairly widespread preschool, and less insular ethnic communities. If the kids move here from a non-English speaking country, sure, there is more of an adjustment. But if they were born here or moved here very young, they are getting English exposure on TV, almost any time they leave the house, in daycare, at the playground, etc.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    If the children grow up in the U.S., there's no risk they won't speak English even if neither parent speaks English.
    I think that is probably true today.

In my rural one room school on the Oklahoma Kiowa/Comanche reservation in the 1930s, American born children of German speaking parents and grandparents, who homesteaded in 1903 and still spoke German at home, spoke a near unintelligible garbled mixture of English and German. In our childish ignorance, we thought they were "retarded"
    I lost track of these people in the 7th grade. The school and the people are all long gone. I don't know if they ever became fluent in English.
    When I was stationed in Germany in the 1950s, I observed German and American children playing together, all of whom appeared to be indiscriminately and randomly bi-lingual.
    I also had a native German WWII vet driver/translator who was absolutely the most phenomenal simultaneous translator I ever met. His English was not only flawless and unaccented, he could do regional US dialects and slang. He was a big fan of Zane Gray books and all things US Western. His ambition was to come to the US. I hope he made it.

4. Collapse Details

This has the greatest name in track and field!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
    This has the greatest name in track and field!
    This what?????

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter Brown View Post
    A kid my daughter went to daycare with had one parent from Italy and the other was from Spain. So, the mom only spoke Italian to him and the dad only spoke Spanish. Friends and daycare spoke English to him. We haven't seen him since we started real school but I've wondered if he's now fluent or completely incompetent in 3 languages.
    Probably fluent in all 3, kids have incredibly plastic minds for language. You and i not so much.
    Last edited by user4; 01-19-2017 at 07:21 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    18-2 this weekend (2, 2 HS), missed at HSR 18-6

8. Collapse Details

18-2 this weekend (2, 2 HS), missed at HSR 18-6
    I would not be surprised if he goes 5.70 (see, I'm already thinking in meters! . . . 18-8.25 in God's Units) this year, but 19 seems a huge stretch.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    we hear that Mondo's big goal as a prep is to have more 18-footers than all others in history combined. The current score is Others 20, Mondo 6.

10. Collapse Details

we hear that Mondo's big goal as a prep is to have more 18-footers than all others in history combined. The current score is Others 20, Mondo 6.
    He competes fairly regularly, so I see that as very doable.
    I would have thought his goal was to be competitive on the Sr. level (top 8 at Sr. USATF), which is
    a. doable
    but
    b. premature

so, if I'm wrong, I'm happy.