Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Collapse Details

What two-time Olympic gold medalist lost the 1925 AAU javelin title to Zeke Bonura?

Oops, wouldn't be USA Oly team trivia.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by halharkness View Post
    Garry,

I don’t believe the NCAA adopted the NFS rule until 1978. I remember the discussion about implementation the following year at the 1977 meet in Champaign, IL.
    read the intro to the meet in the August '75 edition; makes it clear that that was the changeover

3. Collapse Details

Oops, I goofed too. I was thinking that Bonura had made the US Olympic team in the javelin in the 1920s.

Let's assume he had. Now the trivia ? would be - name the only 2 US Olympians to have played major league baseball but did not play baseball at the Olympics????

I was thinking Bonura who had about a 6-7 career in the majors.

The other is Edmund Minahan, who finished 4th in the 1900 60 metre dash at Paris. He pitched for a few weeks with the Cincinnati Reds in 1907.

Jim Thorpe does not count - he played demonstration baseball at the 1912 Olympics

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dj View Post
    What two-time Olympic gold medalist lost the 1925 AAU javelin title to Zeke Bonura?

Oops, wouldn't be USA Oly team trivia.
    Bud Houser?

5. Collapse Details

DJ's JT trivia must relate to Finland's Jonni Myyrä

Myyrä's appearance in the USA was due to his embezzlement of his local bank - he was accused of absconding with Bank Funds

6. Collapse Details

Going back to the 1944 AAU.... there were 6 (not 8) finalists. In total there were 8 false starts before the rerun. On 2 occasions the whole field beat the gun (fired by Jack Lavelle). Ewell and Bill Mathis were the first to go (after 4 starts). Eventually it was decided to recommence the final. After another false start (by Ewell) the race got underway, with Buddy Young a clear winner in 10.5

7. Collapse Details

Other "high school" runner who won a gold medal at the National AAU Championships to consider would be:

Joe Ballard who graduated from Providence Technical HS, Rhode Island in June, 1909 (He was 22 yrs 10 mos at graduation. AAU Meet was in August, 1909 and Ballard won the National Jr. Mile on Saturday in 4:24.6 and then won Sr. AAU Meet following day in 4:30.6. He did not attend college I don't believe and ran for BAA after high school

Abel Kiviat. won the National AAU Mile on July 1, 1911 in 4:19.6. We all know he dropped out of high school in November, 1909 to go to work and support family but he would have been a senior graduating from high school in June, 1911 at age 17 yr 11 mos and ran the AAU at 18 yr, 1 week old. This is well accepted as a "normal" high school graduating age even by today's standards. You could say he was "home schooled" for two years after leaving Curtis High School.

It looks like 1965 is the last time a high school runner won a National Sr Track and Field Championship event???

8. Collapse Details

NCAA definitely instituted the NFS rule in the 1974-75 track & field season. Don’t know about XC.