Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    False Starts Stats and other DQ trivia
    A friend and casual fan asked me what is the record for false starts in a 100 meter race.
    I have no idea but I'm sure someone on the board either does or has memory of a mega-multi FS race.

Related thoughts and questions:

With the most recent announcement of T&F drug retest DQs from OGs what is the greatest place gain because of OG drug DQs in Athletics?
    Lowe went from 6th to third for a 3 place jump but I'd bet that is not the only 3 place move or the record.

And that brings us to the most DQs, fouls, lane infractions, baton bungling etc. in one race.
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wineturtle View Post
    A friend and casual fan asked me what is the record for false starts in a 100 meter race.
    I have no idea but I'm sure someone on the board either does or has memory of a mega-multi FS race.
    probably the 1974 NCAA 100 (albeit yards) which had 7 heats producing 18 false starts. That, as I recall, put the meet about an hour behind schedule.

they say it's a coincidence, but the next year the NCAA introduced the NFS rule.

3. Collapse Details

1944 AAU 100m. I don't know how many recalls there were for the final, but each of the six runners was guilty of two false starts. After they'd all been disqualified, the referee decided to have the event contested as if nothing had happened.

There was one false start (don't know on whom) before the race finally ran to the finish: 1. Buddy Young 10.5; 2. Eddie Conwell; 3. Barney Ewell; 4. Herb Thompson; 5. Billy Mathis; 6. Herb Douglas.

4. Collapse Details

Well, it was 72 years ago, so who cares ? But that's crazy. There should have been no winner,no 2nd, no etc., no nothing. Suppose every HJ'er missed the opening height 3 times ? Would they have started all over ?!

5. Collapse Details

The 1912 Olympic 100 had 7 false starts in the final (and 9 false starts in semi 4); I think there was no rule limiting how many false starts each athlete could take.

6. Collapse Details

I know it's a decathlon 100, but it's still a 100 and as I recall, the 1988 Olympic (Seoul) decathlon 100 had several false starts. I don't remember the exact number.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dj View Post
    1944 AAU 100m. I don't know how many recalls there were for the final, but each of the six runners was guilty of two false starts. After they'd all been disqualified, the referee decided to have the event contested as if nothing had happened.

There was one false start (don't know on whom) before the race finally ran to the finish: 1. Buddy Young 10.5; 2. Eddie Conwell; 3. Barney Ewell; 4. Herb Thompson; 5. Billy Mathis; 6. Herb Douglas.
    All alone on the starting line and the starter calls you for a FS !! Embarrassment to the nth degree?
    Tom Hyland:

8. Collapse Details

Maybe all alone. Starter could have called two or more people for false starting in the same attempt.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wineturtle View Post
    All alone on the starting line and the starter calls you for a FS !! Embarrassment to the nth degree?
    I have a vague recollection of that happening in a 400H heat at the Drake or Kansas Relays around 1969.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dj View Post
    Maybe all alone. Starter could have called two or more people for false starting in the same attempt.
    My first assumption was more than one being called but the embarrassed lone athlete visual in my head was too strong to resist
    Tom Hyland: