Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Matthew

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    The Beaches (a strip 2 miles wide) were just given the Evacuation Order (!!), but I, on a relatively high lot 4 miles in, am staying. My biggest fear is that I live in a subdivision called, I kid you not, The Woods, and 80mph winds will knock many trees down, potentionally in my yard. Work cancelled for a glorious 4-day weekend . . . spent protecting Fuerte Atticus.
    Trees are not your friends. Hang in there.

2. Collapse Details

Woman on Jensen Island says she's boarding up her manufactured home and staying put. I wonder what she'll think of her boarded up manufactured home's new location after it lands?

3. Collapse Details

I'm just 1.25 miles inland in Fort Lauderdale....with no shutters...and overhanging oak limbs.

I put all the outdoor furniture and other potential missiles in garage yesterday and then went to Frampton all acoustic concert.

I have my latest T & F News and a flashlight.

Moving my guitar further from window.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    Trees are not your friends. Hang in there.
    There was a couple in Baton Rouge who got killed when a big tree fell right in the middle of their house during Hurricane Gustav. I have a similarly large tree that's about 15 feet from my house, which is why I sat on my neighbors porch when the winds were at their highest during recent hurricanes, watching that tree sway back and forth with the sounds of branches snapping and trees falling all through the neighborhood.

5. Collapse Details

Now they're calling for an 8' storm surge as the winds will back up the St.Johns and flood down-town. I think I'm OK in that regard, but they just upped the wind forecast to 100, and I'm totally not OK with that. May evacuate to my son's house further inland and built to the 2012 code - reinforced concrete frame - no trees on lot.

6. Collapse Details

Glad to be on west coast of Florida. I was here for Wilma 11 years ago, same time of year, as it went just south of us. My sister headed East to Fort Lauderdale and Wilma followed her. She was stuck in a high rise hotel without Xty for 2 days. Toilets wouldn't flush. This time it looks like Matthew will loop back over us, hopefully as TS. We have friends who have relatives in Port St. Lucie where it's scheduled to land and they ain't moving.

7. Collapse Details

Good luck to all of you in the path of Matthew. Situations like this reinforce my belief that -20F here in Wisconsin is much preferrable to these tropical storms.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

8. Collapse Details

In Fort L I lost electric for 2 weeks with Wilma.

When one's 155 lb English Mastiff is unhappy (no AC)...humans unhappy.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by exdrake View Post
    In Fort L I lost electric for 2 weeks with Wilma.

When one's 155 lb English Mastiff is unhappy (no AC)...humans unhappy.
    I consider generators a necessity in this part of the country. It's an expensive way to get electricity but it beats the alternative. I also fill one of my bathtubs with water before big storms like this to use for flushing the toilet in case I lose water. Fortunately, that's never been an issue for me.

10. Collapse Details

Well, Mrs. Atticus just informed me that we are outta here TONIGHT, so that's that! [if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy]