Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Devon Allen

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Can't really blame the guy for chasing the chance to make millions in the NFL.

But after this second injury, especially if it is a season-ending injury, he has to do a serious reevaluation of whether football is still worth the risk.

2. Collapse Details

Maybe he would have been better prepped for foosball season had be not messed around with track this spring and summer.

Also, if you guys would quit watching football on tv, we would eventually stop losing athletes to that sport.

3. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Just to get a handle on how talented Allen was, consider that when he won his first NCAA outdoor championship as an Oregon freshman he had hurdled seriously over the big barriers for only 5 months.

That is absolutely astounding.

He may go down in history as the greatest hurdle talent to never earn an Olympic medal. ..Oh wait, there is that kid back in 1979 from Maryland. But Skeets wasnt sharing his time with a top 20 ranked football team.
    Last edited by user4; 09-18-2016 at 03:01 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Can't really blame the guy for chasing the chance to make millions in the NFL......
    we don't know that that was his motivation of course. Gotta keep in mind that most athletes would far rather be participating in team games if they're good enough. It's quite possible that he simply loves playing football.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    He may go down in history as the greatest hurdle talent to never earn an Olympic medal. ..Oh wait, there is that kid back in 1979 from Maryland. But Skeets wasnt sharing his time with a top 20 ranked football team.
    No, but if he had not joined the 49ers (or some other highly ranked football team) after Maryland, he would certainly have earned a medal in 1984, probably a gold.

Another great hurdle talent never to earn an Olympic medal is Keni Harrison. Of course, that could change in four years.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    we don't know that that was his motivation of course. Gotta keep in mind that most athletes would far rather be participating in team games if they're good enough. It's quite possible that he simply loves playing football.
    I think a good many (eg. Marquis Goodwin, Jeff Demps, etc.) would like to keep one foot in both sports.

7. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    No, but if he had not joined the 49ers (or some other highly ranked football team) after Maryland, he would certainly have earned a medal in 1984, probably a gold.

Another great hurdle talent never to earn an Olympic medal is Keni Harrison. Of course, that could change in four years.
    Good point, and here I will propose the counterintuitive : I imagine that Devon would have had a safer glide path to the NFL had he stuck only to track.
    Last edited by user4; 09-18-2016 at 03:33 PM.

8. Collapse Details

'Also, if you guys would quit watching football on tv, we would eventually stop losing athletes to that sport. '

The number of track fans who watch football on tv is a rounding error in the number of viewers....

Allen will be back..no word yet on how serious it is..I enjoy watching him play...and from watching he looks like he is having a great time out there....Go Ducks...

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post

The 1980 boycott surely cost Nehemiah another gold. That and pro football prevented him from owning the 1980's.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    Good point, and here I will propose the counterintuitive : I imagine that Devon would have had a safer glide path to the NFL had he stuck only to track.
    I don't believe that track has anything to do with a young athlete who seems to have trouble staying healthy on the football field.