Facts, Not Fiction

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    Caster Semenya has effectively retired from athletics. She just announced her signing for a womens football team in 2020, the start of a new chapter in her life.
    Semenya has denied retiring from the track, according to this article about joining the football club.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/athletic...ppeal-against/
    That has prompted inevitable speculation Semenya is planning to quit athletics next year and not defend her Olympic title, especially if her legal challenge against the IAAF’s rules fails.

But Van Wijk said: “She’s made it clear that she’s not quitting at all. She’ll be back again next year.

“And I’ve made it clear to her that we will support her 100 per cent in that because, obviously, she’ll miss games.”
    But playing internationally for South Africa in FIFA-regulated competitions may be problematic:
    Fifa (sic) issued its gender verification regulations in 2011, which give it the power to subject a player taking part in its competitions to “a physical examination” and to ban anyone refusing to submit to one.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 09-07-2019 at 08:46 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Pitkämäki announced his retirement today. He didn't compete this year but was still trying to come back, eventually decided to retire because he wasn't getting into good enough shape.

3. Collapse Details

UK 400 hurdler Jack Green.

Jack Green announces retirement

“A new chapter begins. I have decided to retire from track and field. I had every intention of training towards a third Olympic Games but after taking some time out and learning more about myself I came to realise that I wasn’t willing to give myself to the sport and make the necessary sacrifices to be the best I could be on the track."

4. Collapse Details

And in reverse, another hurdler, Dawn Harper Nelson is coming out of retirement!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by eightsevensix View Post
    And in reverse, another hurdler, Dawn Harper Nelson is coming out of retirement!
    She would be 36 at the Trials, so it's a stretch, but doable.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    She would be 36 at the Trials, so it's a stretch, but doable.
    Dawn retired to start a family, is that right? As long as she's healthy, she could still be a contender, though the US 100mh team continues to be one of the toughest to make.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
    Dawn retired to start a family, is that right? As long as she's healthy, she could still be a contender, though the US 100mh team continues to be one of the toughest to make.
    I agree, and if anything, seeing Felix, SAFP and Nia Ali in Doha only fueled her drive to make the team even more. Buy the time trials rolls along, it will only have been a "short" 2+ years since she won World silver. The 100m hurdles are always tough, but I haven't seen a drastic change in the state of the event since then.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    I haven't seen a drastic change in the state of the event since then.
    The major change is that, Doha notwithstanding, it's not as USA-dominated as it has been. Williams and Amusan will be forces to be reckoned with in Tokyo.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    The major change is that, Doha notwithstanding, it's not as USA-dominated as it has been. Williams and Amusan will be forces to be reckoned with in Tokyo.
    True, but still not too much of a change since she has been battling Pearson her entire career.