Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

MJ is hands down the greatest 400 runner of all time. Bolt is hands down the greatest 100/200 runner of all time. If Bolt, MJ, and Tommie Smith all raced in their prime, and had adjoining lanes in the Olympic final 200, it would be a race for the ages. But we'll never know ... and that is what makes sports discussions so exciting.

Ryun vs Coe vs El G in their prime.

Zatopek, Bikila, Shorter, Wanjiru, & Kipchoge in their primes.

Matson, Timmerman, Madejski and so on ...

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    we have had this discussion before (probably on multiple occasions). If they met head-to-head, say 10 times, I'd figure on Bolt winning 8 or 9 of them. Lane draw, of course, could play a major part.

But, as I have done in the past, I would interject Tommie Smith into the equation and posit that on modern wide-radius tracks (on which he never got to run) and all the other benefits of modern technology that he and Bolt might be evenly matched at 5-5.

(and there are those who would say that Henry Carr would be better than Smith; bottom line: an idealized race for all-time woofing rights doesn't automatically go to the two fastest guys ever, because that ignores history)

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    MJ is hands down the greatest 400 runner of all time. Bolt is hands down the greatest 100/200 runner of all time. If Bolt, MJ, and Tommie Smith all raced in their prime, and had adjoining lanes in the Olympic final 200, it would be a race for the ages. But we'll never know ... and that is what makes sports discussions so exciting.

Ryun vs Coe vs El G in their prime.

Zatopek, Bikila, Shorter, Wanjiru, & Kipchoge in their primes.

Matson, Timmerman, Madejski and so on ...
    If Mr. Smith had the benefits of modern training nutrition and full time professionalism, he would have truly given Mr. Bolt a serious challenge. 19.5 on a straight cider track in 1966.

4. Collapse Details

I read Johnson's proclamation with amusement, and I would have no problem with his claim except that he GUARANTEED he would beat Bolt every time. It's very easy to guarantee something that can never be tested, so it can't come back on you. He should try to exercise a little discretion; empty boasting like this makes him look a bit foolish, and even tarnishes his awesome reputation a bit. Shades of Carl Lewis!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by billychuck View Post
    I read Johnson's proclamation with amusement, and I would have no problem with his claim except that he GUARANTEED he would beat Bolt every time. It's very easy to guarantee something that can never be tested, so it can't come back on you. He should try to exercise a little discretion; empty boasting like this makes him look a bit foolish, and even tarnishes his awesome reputation a bit. Shades of Carl Lewis!
    Yep. And I am sure a few folks here really believed him.

6. Collapse Details

Bolt > MJ
    The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lexvid View Post
    OK my fellow track aficionados, I was floored by Michael Johnson's assertion he would beat Bolt head to head if both were at their very best!

Now Michael was great but Bolt is the GOAT and the stop watch doesn't lie. 19.19 beats 19.32 any day of the week. Even on count back Bolt has a 19.30 to his credit as well as his 3rd best time of 19.32 matching Johnson's best.

Let's not get into the fact that Bolt matched Michael's speed endurance coming off the curve, so I don't see how he bests Bolt at any point over the 200.

Didn't Johnson pull up in that match race over 150 M with Bailey when both were crowned 100 & 200 M Olympic Champions? And Bailey was a 9.84 guy - Fast but not in the same realm as Bolt!

Opinions? Is this even a discussion?
    Johnson may have a point. Didn't he double, the year he ran the 19.32. He may well have went faster in the 200 if he hadn't ran 400 rounds prior.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TrackDaddy View Post
    Bolt > MJ
    Was there ever a doubt?

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    There's always doubt (albeit sometimes very minimal) when comparing people whose careers didn't overlap. To think otherwise is to be led down the garden path by raw numbers.

10. Collapse Details

Had to look up Henry Carr. Never saw him live. Impressive! Belongs in the same room along with Bolt, Tommie Smith and Michael. I noted, Smith and Carr were 6ft 3 - tall and rangy. Both had an inch or so on Johnson.

Tempted to include Blake (19.26 & 19.44) but his career has been overshadowed by Bolt and he has never been considered dominant or the best over 200 in any year. His legacy is incomplete and unlike the others, much shorter and stockier at 5ft 11 (listed height).

Curious to see if he can find a another sub 19.6 or two seeing as he is only 26. He is also not Bolt however. I consider him to be more of a 100m guy anyways.