Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by said88 View Post
    Yes - that's correct! Marlies Göhr has won a relay Gold on Moscow and has won her Gold in Helsinki '83 one day before Edwin Moses.
    It should be noted that there have been several World Championships before Helsinki '83.
    Cross Country since 1973, 50km Walk in 1976 and 400mHW+3000mW in 1980.
    Carlos Lopes has won Cross Country in 1976 and has won a Silver in Montreal, but Gold "only" in Los Angeles. Veniamin Soldatenko has won Gold in 1976 in 50km Walk and has won Silver in Munich. So both were close, but I think Göhr is the first who really matches the question.
    I know what you meant by your question, but I seem to recall that the IAAF officially designated the 80 OG as also being the World Championships. If so, then the answer obviously changes. I vaguely recall this issue being discussed previously. Does anybody remember?

2. Collapse Details

Perhaps you should reconsider your answer:

In the first draft of rules by the IAAF in 1913, it was determined that - "The Athletic Events of the Olympic Games shall be recognized as the IAAF World Championships."
    Link to source:

Last edited by Davidokun; 07-07-2016 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Formatting

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Davidokun View Post
    Perhaps you should reconsider your answer:

Link to source:

And I thought Steve Cram was the first 1500m World Champion, when in fact Albert Hill was the first. Maybe we should tell the IAAF who there World Champions are. It seems they don't know. Athletes with most World titles (prior to 2013) according to the IAAF: Lewis and Johnson with 8, when in fact Nurmi has had the most with 9.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by said88 View Post
    And I thought Steve Cram was the first 1500m World Champion, when in fact Albert Hill was the first. Maybe we should tell the IAAF who there World Champions are. It seems they don't know. Athletes with most World titles (prior to 2013) according to the IAAF: Lewis and Johnson with 8, when in fact Nurmi has had the most with 9.
    I can't count. For sure Lewis still has the most with 17!