Thread: bam bam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    bam bam
    Whatya think of the moving ball issue?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Whatya think of the moving ball issue?
    Talk about a tempest in a teapot. Golf loves that it's THE gentleman's game, where everyone tattles on himself, but Johnson CORRECTLY called that a non-issue, but then the Grand Poobahs had to get their geezerly .00002 cents in. Whatever. He still won.

Tweet from Jordan Spieth:
    "Lemme get this straight.. DJ doesn't address it. It's ruled that he didn't cause it to move. Now you tell him he may have? Now? This a joke?"

Tweet from Rory McIlroy
    "This is ridiculous... No penalty whatsoever for DJ. Let the guy play without this crap in his head. Amateur hour from @USGA."

3. Collapse Details

I'm waiting for Bill's comments but my thought that the compelling evidence is "what else could have caused the ball to move" to be evidence I wouldn't want used on me.

4. Collapse Details

He probably caused the ball to move. However, I thought it was ridiculous the way the USGA handled it. Once the referee, who was there, gives the ruling, I think that should be final and no penalty should have been given. I hate these television re-plays looked at by 1,000s of people 2 hours later.

The way golf greens are now, with greens Stimping up around 14, it doesn't take much for a ball to wobble a little bit. You might have heard Nicklaus talking about Oakmont in 1962 - he said all the pros thought they were very fast, and they probably Stimped at about 9-10. I'm not sure, in the 1970s, I ever played on greens faster than 11 - maybe 12 at the 1973 US Amateur (Inverness), which were the fastest greens I ever played.

5. Collapse Details

To my untutored mind some golf rules do not make much sense. If there is no advantage gained, why have something penalized ? A runner that barely touches a lane stripe on a straightaway is not penalized, as he gains no advantage and impedes no one. So why is a golfer penalized, if his putter breaths on the ball, or nudges the grass causing the ball to momentarily wiggle a fraction, penalized ? No gain, no harm, so why a penalty ?

6. Collapse Details

Rules are rules but golf is a bizarre outlier in terms of enforcement.
    In what other sport would the official say, "You might be penalized but play on as we mull it over... let you know at the end of the game"?
    Soccer refs can make the instant determination to play on when an advantage would benefit the team committing the foul, but there is no official debate about whether the infraction occurred.
    And professional golf has to be the only game on earth where a TV viewer sitting on a couch in his living room can contact tourney officials to point out a violation and the officials retroactively consider the situation!!!!
    Imagine last night's NBA finals if fans called in with every perceived rules violation...
    It's a ludicrous scenario.
    But then again, it seems a bit strange to me that T&F athletes get DQ'd and penalized upon reconsideration of drug testing that they passed initially many years ago.

7. Collapse Details

I'm with dukehjsteve. There are illogical rules in every sport but golf does seem to have gone overboard.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    golf does seem to have gone overboard.
    It's all part of the hubris with which the sport conducts itself . . . a sort of self-flaggellating pride in being the old persnickety geezer that insists on the strictest adherence to a hopelessly antiquated mode of operation.

9. Collapse Details

The reason there is a penalty if the player is deemed to have caused a ball to move lies in the three basic tenets that underlie the Rules of Golf, however arcane or obtuse one may think they are. The three tenets are: 1) you play the ball as it lies, 2) you play the course as you find it, and 3) if 1) and 2) are not possible, you do what is fair.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    He probably caused the ball to move. However, I thought it was ridiculous the way the USGA handled it. Once the referee, who was there, gives the ruling, I think that should be final and no penalty should have been given. I hate these television re-plays looked at by 1,000s of people 2 hours later.

The way golf greens are now, with greens Stimping up around 14, it doesn't take much for a ball to wobble a little bit. You might have heard Nicklaus talking about Oakmont in 1962 - he said all the pros thought they were very fast, and they probably Stimped at about 9-10. I'm not sure, in the 1970s, I ever played on greens faster than 11 - maybe 12 at the 1973 US Amateur (Inverness), which were the fastest greens I ever played.
    Are greens faster due to lawn mower technology or because the golfing powers want them faster? Or both?