Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella2 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the IAAF allow their beloved Bolt to keep his relay medals.
    I wouldn't be surprised either....

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by highjumpfan View Post
    The six fastest 4X100s that were not subsequently disqualified of all time have been run by Jamaica since 2008. Of these, Carter was on at least five of them. If he is indeed the culprit and his performances from 2008 onward are stricken, the world record will have a significant revision. Does anyone know if he was on the 2009 4x1 team in Berlin? If so, the record reverts back to the U.S. based on the SF time they ran in London '12.

Carter did not indeed run on the 2009 team thus Jamaica will retain the title regardless of the outcome.
    "Methylhexanamine has been on the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) Code prohibited list since 2004, although it was reclassified on the 2011 list as a "specified substance", meaning one that is more susceptible to a "credible, non-doping explanation"."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/36446717

The substance he got caught for got reclassified in 2011, so the titles after that could be safe.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DCSIGMA View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised either....
    If Carter loses his medal, The WHOLE TEAM MUST relinquish its medal. It would be a total farce to let Bolt (and the other 2 runners) keep his while Carter gives up his. This turn of event will affect Bolt ONLY in terms of his olympic medal haul. I could see the debate between Bolt and Carl Lewis intensifying based on their respective medal counts.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mgb View Post
    If Carter loses his medal, The WHOLE TEAM MUST relinquish its medal. It would be a total farce to let Bolt (and the other 2 runners) keep his while Carter gives up his. This turn of event will affect Bolt ONLY in terms of his olympic medal haul. I could see the debate between Bolt and Carl Lewis intensifying based on their respective medal counts.
    Not sure about that. Bolt is the 100/200 GOAT, even if he ever won a relay medal. His dominance in the sprints is stunning and unprecedented. His relay golds are frosting on the GOAT cake, to be sure. But it doesn't change the Bolt/Lewis debate.

The thing to weigh in Bolt/Lewis is this, does Lewis' LJ dominance make up for Bolt's sprint dominance? In my opinion, it does. Although that could change with 100/200 golds in Rio.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    Not sure about that. Bolt is the 100/200 GOAT, even if he ever won a relay medal. His dominance in the sprints is stunning and unprecedented. His relay golds are frosting on the GOAT cake, to be sure. But it doesn't change the Bolt/Lewis debate.

The thing to weigh in Bolt/Lewis is this, does Lewis' LJ dominance make up for Bolt's sprint dominance? In my opinion, it does. Although that could change with 100/200 golds in Rio.
    Carl Lewis was equally dominating as Bolt...his long jump exploits alone would make him a top 10 all time.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    and just think what Lewis's medal collection would look like if they had had World Championships in '81, '85 and '89. (and maybe World Indoors in '81, '83 and '85).

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    and just think what Lewis's medal collection would look like if they had had World Championships in '81, '85 and '89. (and maybe World Indoors in '81, '83 and '85).
    And if the US didn't boycott the moscow olympics.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Sometimes, the ONLY way to normalize these ever changing criteria for greatness is to look at the entirety of one's career versus another. Imagine if we start to look at Jesse Owen's career IF he had World Championships, Indoors, no one with a funny looking mustache etc..etc.. The variables are just endless.
    Last edited by mgb; 06-03-2016 at 04:51 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    Carl Lewis was equally dominating as Bolt...his long jump exploits alone would make him a top 10 all time.
    Also, how do their individual-event and AOY T&FNews rankings compare?

10. Collapse Details

But there's also no guarantee he would have won those extra champs - and that could be a bonus, as there's less chance to lose/tarnish a reputation