Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Extending that to the 21st century and then publishing it with a headline that eunuchs live 14-19 years longer than non-eunuchs constitutes, IMO, journalistic malpractice... I can't believe that a sister journal of Cell actually accepted this article.
    [At the risk of further hijacking a very important thread on Caitlyn Jenner…]
    Of course I defer to the gentleman who has edited a medical journal, and I agree that the statement (as fact) in the NYT story about the longevity difference in castrated males is very shoddy journalism. As a non-scientist, I simply pointed out source of the claim without attempting to decide if the statement made sense as a scientific conclusion.

I don’t like the way the major media often report on scientific studies, but I am curious about medical journal standards for acceptance. The headline on the study did not mention the lifespan difference. Both the study and the Washington Post article about it were framed in the context of looking for evidence to support a hypothesis that testosterone is a key reason for women having longer lifespans than men (or more generally, that there is a tradeoff between reproductive success and human longevity). Both mentioned that there have been conflicting studies analyzing this question and the only conclusion of the Korean eunuch study is that it supports the hypothesis. And, of course, the obligatory statement that additional studies of eunuchs could be helpful for better understanding of aging and reproduction in humans. Substandard for acceptance in a biology journal?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Oh, that's easy! Seeing 6 Olympic Games, 12 World Championships, 13 World Indoor Championships, 25 Penn Relays . . . .

:-)
    That's me, that's me!! I'm already feeling anxiety about how little Football I'll get to watch, even if I double my current (45) years.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    [At the risk of further hijacking a very important thread on Caitlyn Jenner…]
    Of course I defer to the gentleman who has edited a medical journal, and I agree that the statement (as fact) in the NYT story about the longevity difference in castrated males is very shoddy journalism. As a non-scientist, I simply pointed out source of the claim without attempting to decide if the statement made sense as a scientific conclusion.

I don’t like the way the major media often report on scientific studies, but I am curious about medical journal standards for acceptance. The headline on the study did not mention the lifespan difference. Both the study and the Washington Post article about it were framed in the context of looking for evidence to support a hypothesis that testosterone is a key reason for women having longer lifespans than men (or more generally, that there is a tradeoff between reproductive success and human longevity). Both mentioned that there have been conflicting studies analyzing this question and the only conclusion of the Korean eunuch study is that it supports the hypothesis. And, of course, the obligatory statement that additional studies of eunuchs could be helpful for better understanding of aging and reproduction in humans. Substandard for acceptance in a biology journal?
    Not in anyway upset with you, wamego relays champ, I just thought the Washington Post treating this rather poor retrospective database analysis as something warranting that headline was not quite kosher. I can't read the WaPo article as I'm permanently blocked by them because i guess I read too many free articles.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    81 Korean eunuchs
    Not a representative sample. What we need is a controlled study:
    1000 men
    250 keep their boys intact
    250 lose them
    250 keep them but are given testosterone inhibitors
    250 lose them but are given testosterone

Now we just need volunteers for the study.
    I nominate anyone convicted of violent rapes.

5. Collapse Details

New article says Jenner talked about becoming a woman even before he won his Olympic gold medal!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebri...anted-20897738