Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Heck, why not. Half the kids are drugged to the gills anyway.

"Get OFF MY LAWN!!!!!"

2. Collapse Details

Yeah, yeah. But they are also Snapchatting, Facebooking, Instagramming, Periscoping during class. Unfuckingbelievable. Communication, research? Bullshit. They can do that when they get home.

3. Collapse Details

I'm with Bill on this one. Those devices have no place in a school classroom.

4. Collapse Details

I wonder what it is that today's young adults will complain about the young adults will be when they get old?

5. Collapse Details

Those devices have no place in a school classroom.
    Yeah, I know the feeling.
    But I also taught high school long enough to have felt and heard the same words about TVs, VCRs, Video-Cams, digital calculators and desktop computers.
    All such things can be signifiant either as positives or negatives contingent on the specific usage, the control of the instructor, and the attitude of the kids.

Of course there is the high probability that students with cell phones use them for non-academic, off-topic purposes. But historically even the best and brightest kids spent a lot of instructional time merely pretending to be reading or solving problems or taking notes while they really were day dreaming or doodling or writing notes.

This goes for adults, too. How many posters here use smartphones to sneak peeks at meet results or to see these very boards while they are ostensibly busy doing something else?

Anyway, the digital world is engulfing education along with every other form of commerce and communication. There is a burgeoning industry of internet textbook publishing (and with the cost of hardbound books this is the wave of the future), distance learning is now internet based (though, generally, IMHO a terribly flawed, ineffective instructional model), testing and homework and auxiliary help is now commonly electronically based, as are college applications and federal financial aid forms. Thousands of public schools are requiring or even supplying tablet computers for every student (tablets = big cellphones).

No doubt our kids and grandkids will be profoundly different from our generations as a result of this technical avalanche. Just like we are. I'm an old codger: my dad was born in 1897, before airplanes, Kodak cameras, the Panama Canal, commercial radio... the list goes on and on.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    I wasn't referring to illicit drugs, booond.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/health/kids-h...al-meds-n88086

You must be using a new type of math.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jc203 View Post
    Yeah, I know the feeling.
    But I also taught high school long enough to have felt and heard the same words about TVs, VCRs, Video-Cams, digital calculators and desktop computers.
    All such things can be signifiant either as positives or negatives contingent on the specific usage, the control of the instructor, and the attitude of the kids.

Of course there is the high probability that students with cell phones use them for non-academic, off-topic purposes. But historically even the best and brightest kids spent a lot of instructional time merely pretending to be reading or solving problems or taking notes while they really were day dreaming or doodling or writing notes.

This goes for adults, too. How many posters here use smartphones to sneak peeks at meet results or to see these very boards while they are ostensibly busy doing something else?

Anyway, the digital world is engulfing education along with every other form of commerce and communication. There is a burgeoning industry of internet textbook publishing (and with the cost of hardbound books this is the wave of the future), distance learning is now internet based (though, generally, IMHO a terribly flawed, ineffective instructional model), testing and homework and auxiliary help is now commonly electronically based, as are college applications and federal financial aid forms. Thousands of public schools are requiring or even supplying tablet computers for every student (tablets = big cellphones).

No doubt our kids and grandkids will be profoundly different from our generations as a result of this technical avalanche. Just like we are. I'm an old codger: my dad was born in 1897, before airplanes, Kodak cameras, the Panama Canal, commercial radio... the list goes on and on.
    That was annoyingly spot on