Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, CO
    Posts
    7,663
    My 16 yo son and 14 yo daughter have had cell phones for several years, started with flip phones, I think, but now smart phones. Having them makes logistics easier, especially with busy schedules, after school activities, etc. So far neither has been caught up in a sexting scandal like happened in Canon City, CO. They're making A's in school, running track, singing in the school choir (son), playing flute and piano (daughter), and doing well socially. They use the phone to google things (like how did Trayvon Bromell do in his latest meet?....my son's current sprint hero.) The downsides? They read less than I would like, and they are distracted by them while studying. Could solve both by having some specific rules, but hard for me to do that when things are good. If their GPA was 2.8, then it'd be a different story. They are not as addicted as many of their friends.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Right next to a Gator filled pond
    Posts
    4,822
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    My 16 yo son and 14 yo daughter have had cell phones for several years, started with flip phones, I think, but now smart phones. Having them makes logistics easier, especially with busy schedules, after school activities, etc. So far neither has been caught up in a sexting scandal like happened in Canon City, CO. They're making A's in school, running track, singing in the school choir (son), playing flute and piano (daughter), and doing well socially. They use the phone to google things (like how did Trayvon Bromell do in his latest meet?....my son's current sprint hero.) The downsides? They read less than I would like, and they are distracted by them while studying. Could solve both by having some specific rules, but hard for me to do that when things are good. If their GPA was 2.8, then it'd be a different story. They are not as addicted as many of their friends.
    My kids are a bit older but I've had pretty much the same experience as you did.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Chattanooga
    Posts
    4,740
    Haven't read the whole thread, but it's unbelievable that many schools allow them in the classrooms.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Right next to a Gator filled pond
    Posts
    4,822
    Quote Originally Posted by BillVol View Post
    Haven't read the whole thread, but it's unbelievable that many schools allow them in the classrooms.
    My kids school integrated them into the classroom at least 5 years ago.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Chattanooga
    Posts
    4,740
    Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    My kids school integrated them into the classroom at least 5 years ago.
    For what reason?
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    955
    Smart phones are mini-computers more powerful than the 1st generation desktops that were introduced into classrooms 20-plus years ago. They have all kinds of legit, powerful educational utilities in just about every field of study.

    But, as with any digital device, given the opportunity kids and adults tend to spend a lot of time socializing or googling random stuff. Tough (i.e., impossible) for instructors to supervise effectively.

    As for the larger discussion of whether kids should have smartphones, for most middle/upper economic level families it seems like a done deal already, a moot question.

    Literally millions of American toddlers have already learned to manipulate phone screens by age 3 or 4. Those kids have, or will soon have, smartphones and they will use them as primary modes of communication and information gathering whether we old codgers like it or not.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Right next to a Gator filled pond
    Posts
    4,822
    Quote Originally Posted by BillVol View Post
    For what reason?
    Communication, research, and basically anything else you can use a computer for. They found it better than fighting the future.

    The covered wagon era ended a long time ago.
    Last edited by NotDutra5; 03-26-2016 at 02:13 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #38
    Heck, why not. Half the kids are drugged to the gills anyway.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Everybody knows this is nowhere
    Posts
    6,278
    Not as much as we were

    https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...l-youth-trends

    "Use of any illicit drug has generally declined over the past two decades. Past-year use of illicit drugs for all grades combined was 27.2 percent in 2014, down from its peak at 34.1 percent in 1997. The MTF survey also shows a decline in the perceived availability of most substance over the past few years, including alcohol, cigarettes, marijuana, powder cocaine, crystal methamphetamine, and prescription painkillers."
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #40
    I wasn't referring to illicit drugs, booond.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •