Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

With no phone booths, where will Clark Kent change into his Superman outfit?

LOL

2. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Just opened this thread for the first time, going straight to the last page. How the hell did a thread on track in the US turn into a discussion of kids and cellphones lol
    There are no strings on me

3. Collapse Details

It happens.

4. Collapse Details

I've always hated how people abuse cell phones, so my wife and I have been determined to raise our girls with phone etiquette, and to use the phones as early financial/budgeting teaching tool. They have basic "smart" phones (not I-phones). We purchase $100 worth of phone time for each girl's phone (which gives them 1200 texts, 1200 minutes, and some amount of data, which I don't understand, but they do). That's their budget. IF they go over those limits within a year, they are responsible for paying the extra. Guess what? Neither has come close to going over, because THEY have to pay for the extra. For two straight years they've been able to roll over minutes/texts/data into the next year. So, they do text and phone and look at things, but they don't spend crazy amounts of time on their phones. They also know that a quick way of having their phones revoked would be to 1) Get caught using them at inappropriate times at school 2) Use them at all at Church 3) Answer the phone or a text WHILE IN THE MIDDLE OF A FACE TO FACE CONVERSATION WITH SOMEONE IN PERSON!!! 4) Making a habit of losing/not having them when they are needed, which is the point of having them in the first place. They don't Facebook, twitter or any of those other things. They can do that when they're adults paying for their own phones and wasting their own time, if they so choose.

My daughters are 15 and 12. The 15 yo got one when she was first 12, and the 12 yo got one soon thereafter because it was just easier.

Overall, it's been a good experience. They are learning that a phone is a tool and a nice convenience, not their raison d'etre.
    Last edited by scottmitchell74; 03-23-2016 at 08:16 PM.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Just opened this thread for the first time, going straight to the last page. How the hell did a thread on track in the US turn into a discussion of kids and cellphones lol
    And it is all my fault for mentioning my kids electronic devises ! Lol!

6. Collapse Details

re-locate thread

7. Collapse Details
    should your kid have a cell phone?
    Administrator
    split from another thread it polluted

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I don't recall not having a cell phone being an issue when I was growing up. People just planned better in those days. It can be done.
    However, back in the day there was a payphone on almost every city block. People didn't "just plan better" -- they used a payphone, like you probably did too.

The prevalence of cellphones has largely eliminated payphones, so now cellphones are much more important to have than 25+ years ago.

9. Collapse Details

Many people don't know that any cellphone* without an account can still call 911 in the US. These days almost everybody over 25 has an old unused phone (or several) sitting in a drawer or box somewhere, or can purchase a flip phone for under $30, so I don't see a reason NOT to give children a basic cellphone at least for 911 purposes (once they're old enough that they won't dial 911 randomly or for fun).

*unless it's too foreign or too old to connect to today's cellular networks in the US
    Last edited by 18.99s; 03-25-2016 at 12:13 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Still boggles my mind that parents would let a 12 year old (or any young kid) have a phone, etc. Not picking on you, tm, but I just don't get the logic.
    "Phone" doesn't have to mean smartphone with a data plan.

If I had a 12 year old, he/she would have a cheap flip phone with a cheap limited-minutes prepaid plan and 3 fundamental rules: anytime it's used to call somebody, the somebody must be me, their mother, or 911.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 03-25-2016 at 01:16 PM.