Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    should your kid have a cell phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    But in those days, what access was there to the sport? I'm sure it was on TV and in the papers, maybe the fans like you subscribed to T&F News...

Nowadays the potential to reach these kids is phenomenal. What are kids, like 17 and under using these days? My understanding is they are mostly over Facebook and Twitter, it's more Snapchat and Instagram? Probably other apps I don't even know about. Periscope?

Track and Twitter work well together. Track and Periscope work well together, but not when the meet is televised.

How do you package the information for Instagram and Snapchat? What information do you want to convey? Are you trying to get them to tune in on TV? A webcast? What if their parents aren't willing or able (like if they aren't home) give them the cable/satellite log in to access the NBC webcast? Just because someone theoretically has access to the NBC Webcast doesn't mean they can actually log in.

How many high school kids watch live TV on any kind of regular basis? Is trying to get them to tune into live TV a good goal? If we want them to tune into a web cast, it needs to be easily accessible, and something that requires your PARENTS to log in, is not easily accessible.

I don't have the answers, but I feel like most people are not even asking the right questions...
    I have three kids in that age group (12-15) so I will add my perspective. This generation of teens doesn't watch a lot of tv, but sure as heck they deplete every iPhone, iPad and computer of every ounce of power left in them. My kids and their peers are on Instagram and snap chat a lot, they don't use Facebook or Twitter that much. The powers to be need to market more online material and iPhone apps. sitting down and watching the Olympics on tv is something my generation of middle age men would do !

2. Collapse Details

Still boggles my mind that parents would let a 12 year old (or any young kid) have a phone, etc. Not picking on you, tm, but I just don't get the logic.

3. Collapse Details

Why do parents want their 12 year old to have a phone? It goes beyond peer pressure. Part of it is a combination of wanting to be in control along with the fear factor, of wanting to be able to contact them at any time.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Still boggles my mind that parents would let a 12 year old (or any young kid) have a phone, etc. Not picking on you, tm, but I just don't get the logic.
    The logic is simple. Every parent wants their child to be able to contact them instantly whenever they need to. I gave all my kids phones at 12 so they could contact me whenever they needed. It was a blessing many, many times. Would you want your child stranded in a bad situation with no means to contact you?

5. Collapse Details

What are your 12 year old children doing that strands them in bad situations? Do they kayak in the wilderness? Sail the open seas? Drive cross country in their T-Bird?

Yes, I know times have changed and children are in mortal danger every step of every day.

6. Collapse Details

I questioned the need but kept quiet when my 12 and 14 year old grandsons were given cell phones.. they have not had any emergencies but the phones have proven extremely useful in locating and driving them to unfamiliar soccer venues.

7. Collapse Details

What are your 12 year old children doing that strands them in bad situations? Do they kayak in the wilderness? Sail the open seas? Drive cross country in their T-Bird?

Yes, I know times have changed and children are in mortal danger every step of every day.
    Stranded? No.

Needing a ride? yes.

8. Collapse Details

?!?! Do you have kids? Did you not have times when you needed to reach them and they needed to reach you, when only a cell phone was available? When I sent my 12-year-olds out away from home without us (which was often, as I felt no need to hover over them), there were many times when plans changes and new plans needed to be made. Some of those times they could have used someone else's phone; many times they needed one of their own.

9. Collapse Details

The child I am helping raise (not my own) is younger than 12. And no, she won't be getting a phone.

I wandered the streets of London as a 12 year old. Without a cell phone. There was a lot of trouble to be had there in the 70s, but I never had to call my parents. I told them where I was going, how long I expected to be gone, and knew I would get a royal butt-roasting if I didn't keep to those parameters.

Maybe my parents trusted me more than you trusted your kids. I have no idea. I'm not going to tell other people how to raise their kids, but I will certainly let my mind be boggled at the inanity of some of it.

10. Collapse Details

I just took the phone from my 13-year old for an indefinite period of time. It is convenient to have him with the phone at times, but the behavior with the phone was unacceptable.