Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Adidas to end IAAF sponsorship deal early in wake of doping crisis
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/35385415

Nike will sign asap to fill this "void". No surprises here at all.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Nike will sign a 30 year contract at a fraction of the true value. Coe and Hightower will praise Nike for saving Athletics.

Everyone already predicted this, timeline has just moved up a little. I didn't realize adidas could get out of their contract. What a win for Nike.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    if true (that BBC report notes that neither of the parties have actually commented yet), adidas perhaps a little bit hypocritical hanging in there as big FIFA sponsor.

4. Collapse Details

It's hypocritical if that's truly the reason. My guess is they see this as a way to get out of a deal and use the money for something else. If it was a valuable deal to them they'd either stay pat or attempt to renegotiate.

5. Collapse Details

Think Under Armour will try to come in, and at least compete against Nike?

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    The pessimist in me sees this as a potential disaster for the athletes. I'm not sure there's any company (or even combination of companies) that might be willing to spend as much as adidas does. And I don't just mean for the IAAF sponsorship; I'm concerned they'll cut back on their individual-athlete/national federation sponsorships as well. Leaving Nike more room to lowball people if there's no big competition.

7. Collapse Details

Soccer is worth the trouble, T&F is not. Adidas spent almost a billion Euro for a 10 year deal with Manchester United, their sponsorship for the German national team is up in two years and is rumored to be worth the same amount and Nike is also bidding. I'm guessing they simply can't afford not to sponsor the FIFA.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Think Under Armour will try to come in, and at least compete against Nike?
    The Under Armour contract that they just signed with Wisconsin is for more per year than the IAAF/adidas contract. Yes, that includes two "big sports" (FB, BB) and Under Armour came out of Maryland for Wisconsin is a valuable Big Ten sign up, but still, that might keep it in perspective of whether UA can bid on this.

9. Collapse Details

I said months ago that the whole Nike situation smells big time. The "track town usa" farce is just a way for them to make more money. WC's should be moved out of Eugene.

10. Collapse Details

What exactly did Adidas get out of this deal? I watched the entire Diamond league last summer on tv and the WC and don't remember an Adidas presence at all. Nike yes with the U.K. and U.S. uniforms.