Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    should Coe go or stay
    I, for one, am in complete agreement with Michael Gannon. Both at IAAF and FIFA, Coe has demonstrated conclusively that he is either incompetent or tolerant of corruption (as he didn't want to rock the boat as he chased after his goal of taking over).

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/o...qs0sfzTJJ2L.97

I don't think Gannon's review of Coe's history is over-the-top hyperbole.
    Last edited by Tuariki; 01-17-2016 at 08:13 PM.

2. Collapse Details

In all the talk about Seb Coe going or staying I haven't seen anyone come up with an alternate to lead the IAAF. Presumably it would need to be someone with the appropriate leadership skills along with the respect of the Track and Field community. And also presumably completely untainted by the events of the past few years. I think I also read that this is a non-paid position?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by nztrackfan View Post
    In all the talk about Seb Coe going or staying I haven't seen anyone come up with an alternate to lead the IAAF. Presumably it would need to be someone with the appropriate leadership skills along with the respect of the Track and Field community. And also presumably completely untainted by the events of the past few years. I think I also read that this is a non-paid position?
    If Coe knew of the Russian situation he has to go and who replaces him is not of importance right now. You can't trust a crooked Chief of Police to keep the peace.

4. Collapse Details

What do you mean by 'know'; which seems to be used routinely. But, the one thing that has been clearly stated is that he certainly did not know very much, Pound has made that abundantly clear. And, if you do not want to trust Pound's commentary and opinion, you might as well not bother with any of this.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    But, the one thing that has been clearly stated is that he certainly did not know very much
    And how much did he know? Do we know for sure or are you guessing?

Here is my favorite quote, "If Diack is now considered to be a crook on a colossal scale, Coe is at best his slow-witted dupe."
    Last edited by booond; 01-18-2016 at 01:46 AM.

6. Collapse Details

"If Coe knew of the Russian situation he has to go and who replaces him is not of importance right now."
    A pilotless ship in the middle of a storm - not sure that's a good idea.
    Last edited by nztrackfan; 01-18-2016 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Quote added

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    It's incredibly important who replaces him. The obvious choice would be Bubka, who is surely in the same boat as Coe in terms of knowledge. I don't think there is anything in the IAAF governance that allows some random outsider to be chosen as President of the organization.

I'll go with Coe for now because he is accountable to the British media and Parliament. There are many worse alternatives and I've yet to see a better alternative that is a thing that is actually possible under current governance.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    The majority of people who were clearly part of the corruption within the IAAF were from countries where bribery is socially acceptable. There is a cultural dynamic to the whole thing that hasn't been discussed much.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by nztrackfan View Post
    "If Coe knew of the Russian situation he has to go and who replaces him is not of importance right now."
    A pilotless ship in the middle of a storm - not sure that's a good idea.
    I understand but a ship piloted by members of the same crew who ran it aground hardly seems like an improvement. New and clean blood is needed; Coe is neither.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    It's incredibly important who replaces him. The obvious choice would be Bubka, who is surely in the same boat as Coe in terms of knowledge. I don't think there is anything in the IAAF governance that allows some random outsider to be chosen as President of the organization.
    I agree that it is important who would replace Coe. But I do not believe it is Bubka for the same reasons as I believe Coe should go.

From my reading of Articles 5 and 7 of the IAAF constitution it appears there is no barrier to the voting members to elect anybody they so choose to be President. Perhaps someone with impeccable credentials who is rich and therefore unlikely to want to take bribes. Damn, the "impeccable credentials" requirement probably means disqualifying Trump as he would of course ban all Muslim athletes, all women who have at one time or another been pregnant, and all athletes from competing for countries in which they were not born.

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    I'll go with Coe for now because he is accountable to the British media and Parliament. There are many worse alternatives and I've yet to see a better alternative that is a thing that is actually possible under current governance.
    And I am puzzled as to why you think that Coe is accountable to the British Parliament. I wasn't aware that the IAAF were subservient to Her Majesty's Parliament. And being accountable to the British media is somewhat of a contradiction of terms.
    Last edited by Tuariki; 01-18-2016 at 04:40 AM.