Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rsb3 View Post
    Are you being serious or sarcastic ? I can't tell ...
    Straight up serious, this time around. His depth of knowledge (only slight pun intended) in this field is far beyond mine, and he states his positions with firm foundation.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    oilfield people know full well there's no such thing as a "firm foundation" :-)

3. Collapse Details

Post Thread Resurrection Musings After Eighty Years in the Oil Patch:

My introduction to the oilbizz was in 1940 at age 9 when a cable tool well was drilled on grandfather's Kiowa County 1902 homestead, hitting granite bed rock at 1200 feet. Dry hole. Fifty years later, a mile and a half north, a well was drilled to 30,000 feet, still in Granite Wash. My grandfather died in 1945, never knowing he had homesteaded on the very northern edge of the buried Wichita/Amarillo Mountains defining the Anadarko Basin. Or, that descendants of his lifelong neighbors would become "gas rich".

I believe most anti-fracking sentiment is due to anecdotal misinformation. A comprehensive re-education is not feasible within the confines of this forum but I offer the following observations:

Experts have been predicting imminent exhaustion of oil/gas world wide for at least that long. They may be getting closer to being right but so far the industry keeps coming up with new technology and hunting grounds.

The USA is luxuriating today in energy self-sufficiency because of fracking, extreme horizontal drilling, mechanical innovations and realization that carboniferous shale, once considered source rocks and reservoir seals, are themselves oil/gas reservoirs and increased percentage recovery of oil in place.

The sobering fact is that resources are indeed finite. The giddingly high initial flow rates rapidly decline and ultimately deplete; true to the reality of reservoir capacity.

Oil/gas are hidden pretty much worldwide where there are sedimentary basins, source rocks and geological structural or stratigraphic traps. The problem is new exploration areas are increasing inhospitable and/or inaccessible.

Renewable energy sources will become increasingly important but I encourage people to remember that fossil fuels made them possible and will continue to be essential for longer than we need to worry about.

4. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Oil and gas people are generally very sharp because they are testing their ideas against the real world every day in a risk-reward environment. No better way to learn how the "real world" works.

I have a close friend whose father and grandfather were in the oil prospecting business starting in Tulsa almost 100 years ago. Story after story of great and not so great technology ideas. The ones that pan out really pan out.

We recently had a discussion about a fellow back in the day that made millions because he had invented equipment, valves etc, and knew how to shut off a gushing oil well, I think, even it it was on fire. Today 70 years later those methods are just another tool in the tool box for drillers.

As for energy, until we get back to building new nuclear power plants, we are going to be wed to carbon based fuels. There is simply no way for our energy demands to be met by wind and solar. Im hopeful that improved insulation of buildings can help reduce the energy demands of heating and cooling of homes and businesses but that can only take us so far with the expected global population increases ahead and the inevitable need to cool and warm people to modern standards.
    Last edited by user4; 08-23-2019 at 08:02 PM.

5. Collapse Details

I am loving this thread. The vast experience forming many of these posts is asking me to question some of what I "know". Dang, this whole conversation thing is awesome! More people should do it!

6. Collapse Details

Let me console those who may be inordinately concerned about climate change.
    The earth is undergoing a periodic warming.cooling trend, just as it has been doing for the last 15,000 years since culmination of the most recent ice age; a cyclic event that has occurred four times over millions/billions of years without human influence.
    We do not know how far cosmic forces will continue this cycle but inconsequential humans did not cause it and cannot prevent it.
    If it does continue to melt ice caps and raise sea levels, it will simply create more inhabitable land in northern/southern latitudes, some deserts will again become verdant and people will either protect or retreat from current shore lines, just as they have done within recorded history.
    The earth is not a stable place. Continents move, merge and separate, volcanoes, earthquakes and erosion rearrange local geomorphology and climates change.
    Even a worse case scenario will take thousands of generations and they will figure it out.
    Peace Out
    Last edited by lonewolf; 08-26-2019 at 08:17 AM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Let me console those who may be inordinately concerned about climate change.
    The earth is undergoing a periodic warming.cooling trend . . ., just as it has been doing for the last 15,000 years since culmination of the most recent ice age; a cyclic event that has occurred four times over millions/billions of years without human influence.
    We do not know how far cosmic forces will continue this cycle but inconsequential humans did not cause it and cannot prevent it.
    If it does continue to melt ice caps and raise sea levels, it will simply create more inhabitable land in northern/southern latitudes, some deserts will again become verdant and people will either protect or retreat from current shore lines, just as they have done within recorded history.
    The earth is not a stable place. Continents move, merge and separate, volcanoes, earthquakes and erosion rearrange local geomorphology and climates change.
    Even a worse case scenario will take thousands of generations and they will figure it out.
    Peace Out
    Thank you for another rationalization from the fossil fuel industry . . .

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy View Post
    Exactly...a great fairy tale....repeat it over and over and you might actually believe it....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-26-2019 at 03:51 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy View Post
    Haven't been following this thread for some time. Earlier it was mostly about preaching to the already converted. Just a few comments from someone with terminal degrees in earth science, and teaching over 40 years, and doing research over 50.

"Thousands of generations" for a worst case scenario to play out? I suppose that means at least 2000 years. I wish those who hide behind "received wisdom" such as peace out, good luck with that. We are on an accelerated path of global warming, not going to argue here how much is natural and how much caused by "mankind". Thus, warming of areas with permafrost, leads to release of huge quantities of methane into the atmosphere; recall that methane is many times more potent than CO2 as a greenhouse gas. Add in a few beauties like the whole West Antarctic Ice Sheet sliding off into the ocean, not totally out of the realm of possibilities; this would give an "instantaneous" rise of sea level of 15 to 25 feet (not inches). Observing my eminent departure from south LA, my daughter joked "So you are leaving your beachfront property".

Though not one to generally "curse out" others. Good luck with burying your head in the (beach?) sand, and may you be reborn on earth in a few thousand years.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf
    The earth is undergoing a periodic warming.cooling trend, just as it has been doing for the last 15,000 years since culmination of the most recent ice age;
    A question for lonewolf, actually three of them. Has this periodic trend included acidification of oceans and massive deforestation of the planet? Have those warming trends occur in such short periods of time?
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley