Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    The people and the government of oil producing states have been so adversely affected by the oil price crash that it would be impractical to stop production all together.
    Will it really take a quake that kills 100s of people for us to see that human lives count more than oil income?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Will it really take a quake that kills 100s of people for us to see that human lives count more than oil income?
    Nah, wouldn't stop anyone. Wring the oil off the dead and keep drilling.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quake (small) halts fracking operation at only active UK site.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b02cc97c88a2b9

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Quake (small) halts fracking operation at only active UK site.
    Don't be shy; you can use the real f-word here.

5. Collapse Details

"Operations were paused for 18 hours from Wednesday evening while Cuadrilla monitored the site near Blackpool after a “micro seismic event” with a magnitude of 1.55.

Most people who live near the site would not have felt the movement, which would have felt similar to someone dropping a large bag of shopping on the floor, according to a spokesman for the company."
    (from the Huffingtonpost article)

"Biggest earthquake yet, measuring 1.6 on Richter scale, has led to Cuadrilla halting #fracking operations in Lancashire - less than a week after resuming." (also from the article)

Magnitude 1.55 ... and that's the biggest earthquake. I have dropped shopping bags on the floor, and no one outside the room even felt a thing. I'm not an earthquake expert by any stretch of the imagination, but are tremors that small on the Richter scale evidence of fault movement? Here in California, 1.55 would probably not merit mention in the news.

6. Collapse Details

While I find the anecdotal "evidence" that the earthquakes are a result of fracking plausible, I find it even more difficult to argue against lonewolf on this topic. Not only does he appear to know what he is talking about, he he finds a way to make science sound eloquent!

7. Collapse Details

Look at the bright side, when the XFL awards a franchise to Tulsa, they can be the 'Oklahoma Earthquakes'!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    While I find the anecdotal "evidence" that the earthquakes are a result of fracking plausible, I find it even more difficult to argue against lonewolf on this topic. Not only does he appear to know what he is talking about, he he finds a way to make science sound eloquent!
    Are you being serious or sarcastic ? I can't tell ...

9. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Mother earth wants that oil removed from her strata. To do anything else is down right immoral.

10. Collapse Details

I am not familiar enough with UK geology to comment about the recent quakes there but, after reviewing my testimony from three years ago, I remain of the opinion that it is water disposal under certain highly fractured geological conditions, not fracking, that may contribute to some earthquakes in highly faulted areas.

Fracking is simply injecting a liquid under pressure into usually horizontal reservoir formations, recovering the load and leaving a proppant increasing permeability between porosity or strata at depths that are unlikely to be felt on the surface. Logically, it has to be in proximity to vertical faulting to induce earthquakes.
    Fracking in itself is generally benign.
    There are quakes without fracking and fracking without quakes.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 08-23-2019 at 04:54 AM.