Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I apologize - you are correct. But so am I in saying that I, as Meet Referee, COULD have told him to turn it inside out and run. That is within my scope of interpretation of what 'adorned' means.
    Bad officiating.
    And your interpretation would've set a stupid precedent. But some Meet Referees need their egos plumped.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    And your interpretation would've set a stupid precedent. But some Meet Referees need their egos plumped.
    Meet Referees who DQ through the strictest interpretation of a rule, are the ones with egos. Since when is it a 'stupid precedent' to want the athletes to compete fairly - as long as no advantage is gained and no offense is given (clearly neither happened here!), there need not have been a DQ. If it's such a good rule, why doesn't the NCAA, or USATF or the IAAF have such a rule?

3. Collapse Details

I share Atticus opinion in the Officials Hippocratic Oath, "First, do no harm."

4. Collapse Details

Meet Referees who DQ through the strictest interpretation of a rule, are the ones with egos. Since when is it a 'stupid precedent' to want the athletes to compete fairly - as long as no advantage is gained and no offense is given (clearly neither happened here!), there need not have been a DQ. If it's such a good rule, why doesn't the NCAA, or USATF or the IAAF have such a rule?
    What other organizations do has nothing to do with Georgia. If you don't follow the rule then the Meet Official is determining what language on a headband is correct and what isn't. Easier to ban all headbands then become the word police.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I share Atticus opinion in the Officials Hippocratic Oath, "First, do no harm."
    And what harm is the official doing by following a rule that everyone is aware of?

6. Collapse Details

It comes across as the kid and/or coach spent too much time looking for an answer they could go with rather than simply not following what the officials first told him/they.

I'm not a hardliner on rules as they are sometimes applied in HS sports but this one seems to make a lot of sense. What the previous poster mentions regarding interpretations of what is written....or whatever....on the clothing article leaves too much interpretation to officials which is why the rule is in place in the first place.

7. Collapse Details

Easier to ban all headbands then become the word police.
    Why on earth would one ban headbands??!! If there's something that community standards would deem OFFENSIVE on the headband sure, but just summarily banning headbands has no logic.

And what harm is the official doing by following a rule that everyone is aware of?
    By misinterpreting it. There's a rule against 'excessive celebration', but you don't DQ the winner because he's really happy. If he taunts an opponent, then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    leaves too much interpretation to officials which is why the rule is in place in the first place.
    ??!! The rule WAS the problem.

8. Collapse Details

If there's something that community standards would deem OFFENSIVE on the headband sure,
    Community standards are to interpretation. What I'd think is fine is not what others would think is fine and that is why it is easy to disallow all headbands with writing on them.

9. Collapse Details

Community standards are to interpretation. What I'd think is fine is not what others would think is fine and that is why it is easy to disallow all headbands with writing on them.
    So, I'll ask again - why hasn't the NCAA banned them?

10. Collapse Details

So, I'll ask again - why hasn't the NCAA banned them?
    Who cares? The NCAA doesn't have jurisdiction. Try again.