Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

So the athlete did nothing wrong. Was a qualified athlete and was wearing a religious item which would normally be deemed ok except for the lack of some paperwork to the point in which she was permitted to run and dq'd after the race.

Paperwork.

A teeth sucking or finger wagging official's dream.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    I disagree. As wrong as this situation here is, HS and Pros/Olympics are very different.
    Just because you don't like to see gold chains doesn't mean there should be blanket bans on them at the high school level. Leave it to individual high schools whether they want to let their own athletes wear chains or not.

3. Collapse Details

Looks like the OHSAA has realized this makes them look like pedantic twits.
    http://twitter.com/Jerry_Snodgrass/s...22052763803648

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Just because you don't like to see gold chains doesn't mean there should be blanket bans on them at the high school level. Leave it to individual high schools whether they want to let their own athletes wear chains or not.
    The asthetics/look mean nothing to me. Personally I actually see jewelery as worry some at the HS level. I've been a part of many 300m indoor and 400m indoor/outdoor races where waterfall starts were used with 15 (or more) kids on the line and we're all pulling/pushing to lead from the gun. Officials very rarely stopped the race unless someone falls, so uniforms were frequently pulled. I would hate to see a metal chain pulled on a kids neck as they are trying to run forward as fast as they could.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    I think the rule against chains is one of safety but I could be wrong.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    The asthetics/look mean nothing to me. Personally I actually see jewelery as worry some at the HS level. I've been a part of many 300m indoor and 400m indoor/outdoor races where waterfall starts were used with 15 (or more) kids on the line and we're all pulling/pushing to lead from the gun. Officials very rarely stopped the race unless someone falls, so uniforms were frequently pulled. I would hate to see a metal chain pulled on a kids neck as they are trying to run forward as fast as they could.
    So you have a thing about shorts and singlets too?

They are a lot easier to grab than some light chain bobbing around some kid's neck.
    maybe the greeks had it right? Though there were things to grab there too.

7. Collapse Details

I can't recall ever seeing a runner grab another by a metal chain. Was this commonplace before jewelry was banned?

8. Collapse Details

The reason always given for the jewelry prohibition in HS is safety although in all my years I have never seen or heard of an instance in non-HS competition in which jewelry caused a safety problem.

But what the heck is the reason for the prohibition of wearing any kind of cloth cover on the head whether a hijab or otherwise. It cannot be safety. Just the opposite in cold XC weather - it protects against frostbite.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 10-27-2019 at 06:41 PM.

9. Collapse Details

A girl wore a hijab in the Colorado 2A race on Saturday. Didn't hear about any uproar over it or whatever process she had to go through to wear it.

10. Collapse Details

Do the rules apply to wool caps for a 15 degree weather day as well in Ohio?