Facts, Not Fiction

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    No
    Then my question is what's the difference between what the young Muslim girl was wearing and whst Cathy Freeman was wearing in 2000.

2. Collapse Details

That doesn't matter. Freeman was not running under Ohio state high school rules.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    That doesn't matter. Freeman was not running under Ohio state high school rules.
    The Ohio rulemakers should have been sensible enough not to restrict any item of clothing that's allowed in the Olympics, unless there is a specific and sensible reason applicable to high school but not the Olympics (e.g. high school athletes can't be paid by a sponsor to wear anything).

FloJo also wore something similar in Seoul.

https://www.euronews.com/2016/08/10/...-and-substance

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Thats fine, but the officials dont write the rules
    So we'll just keep passing it around until someone steps forward and declares that the whole episode was pretty stupid if not shameful.

5. Collapse Details

The athlete had use the same 'equipment' for all of her meets, over several years, and also including playing soccer. Having the waiver with them was never required - so they did not have it with them at the meet. I think that having the certificate supplied later has ended the situation. However, the Ohio officials are most definately the problem here. Apparently they were told that they had the certificate but not with them because it had never once been asked for over dozens of occasions. I suppose that is one of the reasons she was allowed to compete. In fact, I think that she was only disqualified ex post and did not know it was a real issue during the race.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    The Ohio rulemakers should have been sensible enough not to restrict any item of clothing that's allowed in the Olympics, unless there is a specific and sensible reason applicable to high school but not the Olympics (e.g. high school athletes can't be paid by a sponsor to wear anything).
    I disagree. As wrong as this situation here is, HS and Pros/Olympics are very different.

7. Collapse Details

Colorado State Meet today, I was hanging out for a few minutes by the athletesí entrance to the starting area, which was also where they did team check-ins. For one who has not been a meet official nor coach, it was a bit surprising to see each team, when checking in an hour before their race, have to stand in a little lineup and peel off their warmup tops to show what they were wearing underneath, then drop their warmup bottoms and stand there, then keep them dropped and turn around for inspection from behind. I was waiting for them to have to bend over for a body cavity search.

8. Collapse Details

It shows where the state bodies are in their minds. The only reason that this can be important is that rules are all important because they give the officials and the governing body some authority - authority that it looks like they do not deserve.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    drop their warmup bottoms and stand there, then keep them dropped and turn around for inspection from behind.
    That's just creepy.

10. Collapse Details

They still had their shorts on but yes it was a bit odd. Looking to make sure they had the same uniforms and everything was in compliance with the rules.