Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 82
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui
    Posts
    6,607
    Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    No
    Then my question is what's the difference between what the young Muslim girl was wearing and whst Cathy Freeman was wearing in 2000.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #62
    That doesn't matter. Freeman was not running under Ohio state high school rules.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #63
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    That doesn't matter. Freeman was not running under Ohio state high school rules.
    The Ohio rulemakers should have been sensible enough not to restrict any item of clothing that's allowed in the Olympics, unless there is a specific and sensible reason applicable to high school but not the Olympics (e.g. high school athletes can't be paid by a sponsor to wear anything).

    FloJo also wore something similar in Seoul.


    https://www.euronews.com/2016/08/10/...-and-substance
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Right next to a Gator filled pond
    Posts
    4,821
    Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Thats fine, but the officials dont write the rules
    So we'll just keep passing it around until someone steps forward and declares that the whole episode was pretty stupid if not shameful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    23,475
    The athlete had use the same 'equipment' for all of her meets, over several years, and also including playing soccer. Having the waiver with them was never required - so they did not have it with them at the meet. I think that having the certificate supplied later has ended the situation. However, the Ohio officials are most definately the problem here. Apparently they were told that they had the certificate but not with them because it had never once been asked for over dozens of occasions. I suppose that is one of the reasons she was allowed to compete. In fact, I think that she was only disqualified ex post and did not know it was a real issue during the race.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #66
    Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    The Ohio rulemakers should have been sensible enough not to restrict any item of clothing that's allowed in the Olympics, unless there is a specific and sensible reason applicable to high school but not the Olympics (e.g. high school athletes can't be paid by a sponsor to wear anything).
    I disagree. As wrong as this situation here is, HS and Pros/Olympics are very different.



    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, CO
    Posts
    7,654
    Colorado State Meet today, I was hanging out for a few minutes by the athletesí entrance to the starting area, which was also where they did team check-ins. For one who has not been a meet official nor coach, it was a bit surprising to see each team, when checking in an hour before their race, have to stand in a little lineup and peel off their warmup tops to show what they were wearing underneath, then drop their warmup bottoms and stand there, then keep them dropped and turn around for inspection from behind. I was waiting for them to have to bend over for a body cavity search.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    23,475
    It shows where the state bodies are in their minds. The only reason that this can be important is that rules are all important because they give the officials and the governing body some authority - authority that it looks like they do not deserve.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,079
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    drop their warmup bottoms and stand there, then keep them dropped and turn around for inspection from behind.
    That's just creepy.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, CO
    Posts
    7,654
    They still had their shorts on but yes it was a bit odd. Looking to make sure they had the same uniforms and everything was in compliance with the rules.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •