Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    "I知 a pedophile, but not a monster"
    "I'm attracted to children but unwilling to act on it. Before judging me harshly, would you be willing to listen?"

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/21/im_a...not_a_monster/

So what do you think? I think the article was very well-written but reading the comment section leads me to think (a) many people write comments without reading the article, (b) many people seriously lack reading comprehension, or (c) many people are so opinionated they simply will not change their opinions no matter what.

2. Collapse Details

WHOA!
    VERY interesting article!
    As I read it, I thought of those who called me "creepy" about my posting so often about Mary Cain a couple of years ago.
    Similar charges popped up just recently (See Wesley Frazier thread in Current Events!), but this article makes that other (the Frazier thing) seem like, pardon the intended pun, like "child's play"!

I'm also reminded of a line from the Bob Dylan song, "It's Alright, Ma, I'm Only Bleeding"---

"If my thought-dreams could be seen...
    they'd probably put my head in a guillotine...."!!

And why is the name Todd Nickerson familiar-sounding?
    Is there someone else by that name in the world of T&F---either an athlete or journalist?
    Last edited by aaronk; 09-21-2015 at 10:35 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Very sad story and it took a lot of . . . chutzpah? . . . to come out about it. The best thing about this 'confession' is to take it as a warning to others about his nature. Even though he says he would "never" act upon his desires, I deem it prudent to expect that given the 'right' circumstances, he could, as a flawed human being - as we all are - act upon his urges. I wish him the best for a wide variety of reasons; he's in a virtual unwinnable position.

4. Collapse Details

Gutsy and self revealing - not chutzpah, which is unmitigated gall. The classic definition of which is the person who murders his parents and then asks for leniency because he is an orphan. That's chutzpah.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Even though he says he would "never" act upon his desires, I deem it prudent to expect that given the 'right' circumstances, he could, as a flawed human being - as we all are - act upon his urges.
    In the same way you, as a heterosexual male, could, given the 'right' circumstances, rape a woman.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    In the same way you, as a heterosexual male, could, given the 'right' circumstances, rape a woman.
    So Atticus' orientation is to have sex with women: even in an age of unhinged 'intersectional feminism' this is not automatically considered rape. On the other hand, it is not possible for a paedophile to practice his orientation other than non-consensually: pre-pubescent children are rightly not considered capable of giving consent.

7. Collapse Details

If Todd Nickerson believes he's a pedophile who would never harm a child, it makes me wonder if a similar number of "latent" murderers, rapists---even bank robbers and terrorist bombers--or just shoplifters there might be roaming the streets of America!

After all, who hasn't thought they'd like to "kill" this or that person, but know they'd never actually do it?
    In fact, they'd never even hit that person!
    Yet they've SAID they want to murder him or her!
    I again quote Bob Dylan......

"Don't know if I saw you---if I would kiss you or kill you---but it probably wouldn't matter to you anyhow"!

That line has always stuck with me!
    So does that mean I might kill a woman as much as kiss her, if I had the chance??

No.
    I just thought the line was GREAT!

But on the scale of "most heinous crimes", I'd place pedophilia at the very top!
    Even above rape or murder!
    Last edited by aaronk; 09-22-2015 at 10:39 AM.

8. Collapse Details

I'm very sorry that's the only way you see it possible to have sex. There is NO way to have consensual sex with a minor.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I'm very sorry that's the only way you see it possible to have sex. There is NO way to have consensual sex with a minor.
    But that's the whole point. The guy realizes having sex with children is immoral (not to mention illegal), and has made a decision not to act on his sexual urges, in much the same fashion as you do not throw yourself on every woman who you consider sexually attractive.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

10. Collapse Details

But that's the whole point. The guy realizes having sex with children is immoral (not to mention illegal), and has made a decision not to act on his sexual urges, in much the same fashion as you do not throw yourself on every woman who you consider sexually attractive.
    Yes, you are right, but my point is that the rest of us have proper outlets for our 'urges' and he does not. I was so compelled by my urges that I took the drastic measure of proposing a permanent monogamous relationship to a young lady 40 years ago, and that relationship has sated these urges (sorry for the graphic imagery!) for all that time. He does not EVER have a way to scratch the itch, and I think we all need to be mindful of that. I can't imagine having been celibate all my life, but that is his lot. That oath of celibacy didn't work out so great for many priests, and it's their JOB to be moral.