Facts, Not Fiction

Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=Zap;2540463]There is no "generally accepted figure for aid" (whatever that is supposed to mean). Relay splits are not official times. Each leg can be interpreted a thousands different ways. In analyzing Allyson Felix' 47.72 she got a clean exchange (2-3) at the same point of exchange from the start to a fumbled exchange (3-4) finish. Her total split time may have even actually been a slight bit over 400m (maybe 401 after the fumbled last hand-off).

Relay splits are not timed by the amount of time a runner holds the baton. They are timed when the BATON crossed the start/finish line. So, the baton is moving as it crossed the finish line. It does not have to start from "0.0" like the first runner. This accounts for the .7 advantage. That's the best way I can explain it.

2. Collapse Details

Allyson Felix should double next year if the schedule is conducive for it. We never know exactly who her main competition will be in either event. Someone new will always appears.

3. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=Bruce Kritzler;2540473]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap View Post
    There is no "generally accepted figure for aid" (whatever that is supposed to mean). Relay splits are not official times. Each leg can be interpreted a thousands different ways. In analyzing Allyson Felix' 47.72 she got a clean exchange (2-3) at the same point of exchange from the start to a fumbled exchange (3-4) finish. Her total split time may have even actually been a slight bit over 400m (maybe 401 after the fumbled last hand-off).

Relay splits are not timed by the amount of time a runner holds the baton. They are timed when the BATON crossed the start/finish line. So, the baton is moving as it crossed the finish line. It does not have to start from "0.0" like the first runner. This accounts for the .7 advantage. That's the best way I can explain it.
    Nope. Not on that leg. It's at point of exchange. The final leg, obviously, is when the finish line is crossed and clock stops. The first leg to second and so on is when the baton is exchanged, since the exchanges take place in a zone, it can never be at any line as you are saying.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    i'd also like to point out that the earth is flat, as opposed to what science has proven otherwise

5. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=Zap;2540477]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post

Nope. Not on that leg. It's at point of exchange. The final leg, obviously, is when the finish line is crossed and clock stops. The first leg to second and so on is when the baton is exchanged, since the exchanges take place in a zone, it can never be at any line as you are saying.
    I figured it was hopeless, but I tried.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Pigdog View Post
    I don't understand this. What gh is saying is that a 400r + 0.7 = 400 open. So if someone ran a 47.6 relay leg, that equates roughly to 48.3 if they ran the exact same race in an open 400. That also implies Felix's 47.7r was worth about a 48.4.

Where does the 46.9 come from? Unless I am misunderstanding, that's going the wrong way saying that an open 400 is 0.7 faster than a relay leg.

In any case, taking Koch's 47.6...that means she that if she ran that exact same race on a relay with inertia helping her and no starting blocks and reaction times to deal with, she was capable of a 46.9r leg...

I'm with gh on this one.
    It's not that hard to understand. The person claiming the 400r split to 400 open conversion rate is trying to state that a faster relay time will always translate to a slower 400 open time, by some arbitrary number pulled from whatever... Obviously Koch's WR time was much faster than her fastest relay split, so that kills the entire theory.

7. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=Bruce Kritzler;2540482]

I figured it was hopeless, but I tried.
    Well, the reason you failed is because you refused to admit that you were completely wrong. lol. Maybe start there next time.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    i'd also like to point out that the earth is flat, as opposed to what science has proven otherwise
    I'll tell you what. Take every 400m runner in history who has run a 4x4 and if all of these people's fastest relay splits average out to .7 faster than their 400 PRs I'll concede you the scientific king of track stats. BUT.... when you see that they are not anywhere near a .7 difference you have to admit you are wrong. Deal?

9. Collapse Details

It's not that hard to understand. The person claiming the 400r split to 400 open conversion rate is trying to state that a faster relay time will always translate to a slower 400 open time, by some arbitrary number pulled from whatever... Obviously Koch's WR time was much faster than her fastest relay split, so that kills the entire theory.
    How does it kill any theory? Do you realize that Koch's WR and relay split are different races, run at different times run in DIFFERENT YEARS?

Maybe when she ran her 47.6 relay split, she was not in WR form. Ever thought of that being entirely possible?

10. Collapse Details

Also I don't see any 4x4 splits for Koch in the same week or month as when she set her 400 WR. Maybe she splits 46.9 at that event?