Facts, Not Fiction

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I do not understand the "Pedroso was robbed" reference..for us newbies, what happened????

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I do not understand the "Pedroso was robbed" reference..for us newbies, what happened????
    Ivan Pedroso broke Mike Powell's long jump world record in 1995, but it was not ratified by the Italian officials under extremely dubious circumstances. (They claimed the anemometer was blocked by someone standing too close to it, despite the fact that it had a legal reading of +1.3 for Pedroso's jump). To this day Pedroso's jump remains an official wind legal result, yet he is not the ratified WR holder. Many consider it a robbery, others don't.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    So should we throw Jesse Owens and Charley Paddock off the all-time top-10 m100 list because they never ran faster than 10.2?
    yep, they've all been zapped
    Last edited by Tuariki; 09-07-2015 at 02:23 AM.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Zap View Post
    Ivan Pedroso broke Mike Powell's long jump world record in 1995, but it was not ratified by the Italian officials under extremely dubious circumstances. (They claimed the anemometer was blocked by someone standing too close to it, despite the fact that it had a legal reading of +1.3 for Pedroso's jump). To this day Pedroso's jump remains an official wind legal result, yet he is not the ratified WR holder. Many consider it a robbery, others don't.
    [from wikipedia]
    At altitude in Sestriere in 1995, Iván Pedroso jumped 8.96 meters with a measured wind of +1.2. This would have been the world record, beating Mike Powell by one centimeter. However, the Italian Athletics Federation did not forward the result to the IAAF for ratification, since the wind mark was declared invalid, because a person stood in front of the anemometer, probably intercepting the correct wind measurement.
    The IAAF have recorded it as a questionable mark, I guess because they could not list it as wind aided.

5. Collapse Details

I think this topic should b taken to a new thread and discussed, dropped from Shelly's thread. If people want to discuss it. I'm sorry that I brought it up.

6. Collapse Details

Ok, I remember the wind gauge incident now... there were pictures of a portly official standing near/by/in front of the wind gauge.. I had forgotten it was Pedrosa.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    "claimed?!"; there was ample video evidence at the time of the guy going over and blocking the gauge.

With the Evangelisti incident still a fresh wound, they didn't have a lot of ground to stand on to get self-righteous about it.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    Oh that is a new one. An OG gold in 1968 is devalued because of altitude
    Maybe only the gold medal lane was at altitude, while all the others were at sea level?
    Regards,
    toyracer

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by t_monk View Post
    was just one season for me.
    And for anyone else with and sense
    i deserve extra credit

10. Collapse Details

Many consider it a robbery, others don't.
    'Many' don't consider it anything of the sort. In fact you're the first person i've ever heard say that in 20 years.

Someone purposefully stood in front of the wind gauge on a very windy day to minimise the reading !!
    i deserve extra credit