Facts, Not Fiction

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

The squeeky clean image of Wiggins is under a bit of an attack. Appears some stuff was delivered to him in 2011 before/during a stage race (not a Grand Tour).

2. Collapse Details

As long as all hematocrit modifying methods remain verboten, I do not see how could "squeeky clean" world class road cyclists be competitive.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    The debate should probably be split between GOAT road cycling and GOAT track cycling.

I guess GOAT road/track combined is somewhat problematic. Merckx is clearly way in front of Wiggins for the road. Wiggins, IMO, is well in front of Merckx for the track.
    But Wiggins isn't even the UK's GOAT of track cycling, not to mention the World's. And let's not forget that for 28 years, Eddie Merckx held the one-hour world record, the most prestigious record in all of cycling. As for doping, I think it's doubtful that a cyclist who turned pro in 2001 survived in the peleton without doping. The fact that he wasn't busted is irrelevant because we know the peleton was virtually 100% doped at that time. I concur completely with bambam and 26mi235, Wiggins isn't in Merckx class.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I concur completely with bambam and 26mi235, Wiggins isn't in Merckx class.
    I didn't remember saying it but its accurate. In cycling there is almost universal acclaim as to the GOAT and its Eddy Merckx. On the track, don't forget he won a number of 6-day races as well as the hour record. I only know one cycling expert who ever picked anybody else. It was a Frenchman I spoke to in Athens once, and he picked Fausto Coppi, which goes even further back.

I think in cycling Merckx is almost as clear a GOAT as anyone is in any sport.

5. Collapse Details

I notice a distinct lack of curling in this thread. Kevin Martin is an easy choice.

6. Collapse Details

Table tennis - probably Jan-Ove Waldner

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by xw View Post
    Table tennis - probably Jan-Ove Waldner
    Viktor Barna
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dickson View Post
    I don't like to talk about the PED thing, first off I really don't care, so I'll leave at that when it comes to why my picks were old timers.

Lou Thesz is considered "Da Man" by us rasslin' historians. His longevity at the top and his importance can't be rivalled. Yes yes it's been fake for ages, it simply doesn't matter, just think Hollywood. It is a very interesting business once you get into the politics and behind the scenes aspect of it.

And it is a sport, these guys are athletes. Some being totally amazing.
    Let's not stop with pro wrestling when it comes to sports entertainment. How about the often-forgotten sport of Roller Derby?

I hardly paid that much attention when the original Derby was on its last legs before it was downsized (I was 7), but a lot of people came to see Charlie O'Connell when it came to the men. For the women, I have seen the spectacular things that 'Skinny Minnie' Gwen Miller did when she was on the oval.

9. Collapse Details

Cooky: I saw a lot of Roller Derby greats and O'Connell was certainly one of the most notable men.
    But in my view, the clear GOAT was Billy Bogash: a puny guy with coke-bottle-lens glasses (never a brawler, he) who was well past his prime and balding in the mid-1950's when I saw him skate... but even then he was easily the fastest and most skilled skater I ever watched (and I watched 'em all during that era).
    On the women's side I'd say Joanie Weston.
    Not the best, but my personal favorite, was Red Smartt.
    I got Smartt's autograph on a wallet sized picture at the old Olympic Auditorium in downtown LA. It was during half-time and he was standing (skates on) at the top of the locker room stairs, drinking a beer, chewing gum and smoking a cigarette surrounded by kids. You had to hold his beer cup to free up his hands while he signed your pic!!!

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    C'mon, the greatest roller derbyite ever was a track & field legend, Earlene "747" Brown!