Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

In Track we should also consider Edwin Moses. Amazing win streak in an event that is very hard to be consistent in. He would have had 3 Olympic Golds but for the boycott. In Field I go with Al Oerter. 4 Oly golds. One in spite of torn rib muscles. Lewis has to be considered for losing the greatest LJ competition of all time, and never holding a WR.

2. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickson View Post
    Pro Rasslin'...Lou Thesz
    Boxing...Rocky Marciano
    Baseball...Ty Cobb
    Basketball...Wilt Chamberlain
    Track...Lon Myers
    Field...Jesse Owens
    NCAA football...Herschel Walker
    NFL football...Jim Brown
    Weight lifting....Paul Anderson
    Wilt had allot of points, but he was not a winner. Bill Russell was the winner of Wilts era. That is just the truth. Wilt was a great, but sport is about winning and he lacked the killer focus and edge to win when the chips were down. Yes, an old and well known rap against Wilt but it is true.

I really like your Paul Anderson pick. If you go back and look at how Anderson won, the archaic techniques he used. there is no doubt he was a once a century talent, a superior weight lifter to any of the later technically advanced russian greats.

That pro wrasslin pick made me laugh and then made me scratch my head.. have to go do some research.
    Last edited by user4; 08-03-2015 at 05:40 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    Wilt had allot of points, but he was not a winner. Bill Russell was the winner of Wilts era. That is just the truth. Wilt was a great, but sport is about winning and he lacked the killer focus and edge to win when the chips were down. Yes, an old and well known rap against Wilt but it is true.

I really like your Paul Anderson pick. If you go back and look at how Anderson won, the archaic techniques he used. there is no doubt he was a once a century talent, a superior weight lifter to any of the later technically advanced russian greats.

That pro wrasslin pick made me laugh and then made me scratch my head.. have to go do some research.
    I don't like to talk about the PED thing, first off I really don't care, so I'll leave at that when it comes to why my picks were old timers.

Lou Thesz is considered "Da Man" by us rasslin' historians. His longevity at the top and his importance can't be rivalled. Yes yes it's been fake for ages, it simply doesn't matter, just think Hollywood. It is a very interesting business once you get into the politics and behind the scenes aspect of it.

And it is a sport, these guys are athletes. Some being totally amazing.
    Last edited by Dickson; 08-03-2015 at 06:13 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Lou Thesz is considered "Da Man" by us rasslin' historians. His longevity at the top and his importance can't be rivalled. Yes yes it's been fake for ages, it simply doesn't matter, just think Hollywood. It is a very interesting business once you get into the politics and behind the scenes aspect of it.

And it is a sport, these guys are athletes. Some being totally amazing.
    I think Buddy Rogers had a more significant impact on the "sport" . All of the blond haired mega ego heels owe their game to Buddy.

Im more interested in Paul Anderson, now that was some otherworldly kind of strong.

Lon Myers dominance was unthinkable, even in that era and to do it as an Ivy leaguer, boggles the mind.
    Last edited by user4; 08-03-2015 at 07:17 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Hockey - Bobby Orr
    Baseball - Ted Williams or Hank Aaron
    Basketball - Jordan
    Football - Pele
    NFL - Jim Brown/ Brady (I know, I know...)
    Swimming - Phelps
    Track - Bolt/ Owens
    Distance Running - Emil Zatopek (no pain, no gain)
    Field - Al Oerter
    Cricket - Sir Bradman/ Sobers/ Viv Richards
    Rugby - Edwards (Wales)
    Skiing - Stenmark
    Gynmnastics - Comaneci

Brought back many memories past and present watching live or seeing old archives so this was a fun list. I am not much of a cricketer or Rugby fan but I live through my Dad and uncles on these ones.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    I think Buddy Rogers had a more significant impact on the "sport" . All of the blond haired mega ego heels owe their game to Buddy.

Im more interested in Paul Anderson, now that was some otherworldly kind of strong.
    "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers, yep, he was one of the greats, legends. I won't debate this one, I would go with him if not for Thesz. A case can be made for Bruno Sammartino as well.

Go to youtube and type in Lou Thesz vs Buddy Rogers, yep, there it is.

A 350 pound one arm press by Anderson, whoa~~~~~
    Last edited by Dickson; 08-03-2015 at 07:13 PM.

7. Collapse Details

"Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers, yep, he was one of the greats, legends. I won't debate this one, I would go with him if not for Thesz. A case can be made for Bruno Sammartino as well.

Go to youtube and type in Lou Thesz vs Buddy Rogers, yep, there it is.

A 350 pound one arm press by Anderson, whoa~~~~~
    I was going to mention Bruno, you do know he was a weightlifting great in the late 50s.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    Suleimanoglu - The pocket Hercules.
    Lifting 3X his body weight, that is mighty impressive.
    I would agree on Suleymanoglu, or possibly Waldemar Baszanowski

9. Collapse Details

To those who picked Bobby Orr for hockey and Pete Sampras for tennis - good on ya. Great choices - means I agree with them.

I'll pick an easy one - Cycling - Eddy Merckx

Case closed.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Figure Skater - Witt
    Skiing - Killy
    Torvill & Dean redefined figure skating in a way Witt could not even imagine.

Killy was more versatile, but Stenmark was more dominant. There is no other skier who forced FIS to change the rules to determine the World Cup winner. And without the stupid "amateur" eligibility rules, he would have won more Oly golds. But if you expand "skiing" to all disciplines, I'd pick Bjorn Daehlie.

A few others no one has mentioned.

Diving - Greg Louganis.
    Wrestling - Alexander Karelin.