Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 102
  1. Collapse Details
    GOAT from each sport
    #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Aotearoa
    Posts
    464
    Pick your top men for each sport listed below. I am limiting to the following:

    Tennis - Federer
    Rugby - Jonah Lomu
    Soccer/Football - tough one but I'll go for Maradona
    Basketball - Michael Jordan
    Track and Field - Usain Bolt
    Golf - Jack Nicklaus
    Swimming - Alexander Popov (the fastest swimmer of his time winning back to back 50 and 100 freestyle olympic golds)

    This is just my list. Feel free to post yours and let's discuss.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    936
    Pro Rasslin'...Lou Thesz
    Boxing...Rocky Marciano
    Baseball...Ty Cobb
    Basketball...Wilt Chamberlain
    Track...Lon Myers
    Field...Jesse Owens
    NCAA football...Herschel Walker
    NFL football...Jim Brown
    Weight lifting....Paul Anderson
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    3,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickson View Post
    Pro Rasslin'...Lou Thesz
    Boxing...Rocky Marciano
    Baseball...Ty Cobb
    Basketball...Wilt Chamberlain
    Track...Lon Myers
    Field...Jesse Owens
    NCAA football...Herschel Walker
    NFL football...Jim Brown
    Weight lifting....Paul Anderson
    Marciano did not fight any great fighter in their prime.
    Cobb played a hundred years ago in the discrimination era.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui
    Posts
    6,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickson View Post
    Pro Rasslin'...Lou Thesz
    Boxing...Rocky Marciano
    Baseball...Ty Cobb
    Basketball...Wilt Chamberlain
    Track...Lon Myers
    Field...Jesse Owens
    NCAA football...Herschel Walker
    NFL football...Jim Brown
    Weight lifting....Paul Anderson
    I see your view of the world is limited to the USA

    Wilt - agreed - I remember seeing him in Detroit at Cobo Arena as the Lakers were playing the night before the NCAA Indoors started. I stayed at the same hotel as the Lakers. When I arrived the lobby was jammed packed with female groupies - "skinny Maori boy in the corner ladies - damn - no takers"

    Owens - Disagree - As I assume you are referring to his long jump exploits I find your choice strange as he doesn't IMO come remotely close to Lewis or to Jan Zelezny or to Viktor Saneeyev

    Anderson - Disagree - For me, I go with Vasily Alekseyev

    Myers - great record but as no one actually competed in track in those days it was not too difficult for a moderately talented athlete to dominate the sport
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    3,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    I see your view of the world is limited to the USA

    Wilt - agreed - I remember seeing him in Detroit at Cobo Arena as the Lakers were playing the night before the NCAA Indoors started. I stayed at the same hotel as the Lakers. When I arrived the lobby was jammed packed with female groupies - "skinny Maori boy in the corner ladies - damn - no takers"

    Owens - Disagree - As I assume you are referring to his long jump exploits I find your choice strange as he doesn't IMO come remotely close to Lewis or to Jan Zelezny or to Viktor Saneeyev

    Anderson - Disagree - For me, I go with Vasily Alekseyev

    Myers - great record but as no one actually competed in track in those days it was not too difficult for a moderately talented athlete to dominate the sport
    Wilt's 20,000 alone no doubt makes him the GOAT
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    beyond help
    Posts
    12,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki
    Anderson - Disagree - For me, I go with Vasily Alekseyev
    Suleimanoglu - The pocket Hercules.
    Lifting 3X his body weight, that is mighty impressive.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,367
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    Wilt's 20,000 alone no doubt makes him the GOAT
    Talk about a thread where NO ONE will agree!
    my mind could change from day-to-day

    Baseball - Babe Ruth to Willie Mays
    Football - Jimmy Brown to Joe Montana
    Track - King Carl to Bolt (JJK!)
    Basketball - Jordan to . . . nah, just Jordan
    Hockey - Gretsky
    Tennis - Sampras
    Golf - Jack
    Swimming - Phelps
    Gymnastics - Comăneci
    Volleyball - Karch Kiraly (best name also)
    Soccer - Pele to Maradona to Messi to C Ronaldo
    Boxing - Ali
    Figure Skater - Witt
    Speed Skater - Heiden
    Skiing - Killy
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Everybody knows this is nowhere
    Posts
    6,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Talk about a thread where NO ONE will agree!
    my mind could change from day-to-day

    Baseball - Babe Ruth to Willie Mays
    Football - Jimmy Brown to Joe Montana
    Track - King Carl to Bolt (JJK!)
    Basketball - Jordan to . . . nah, just Jordan
    Hockey - Gretsky
    Tennis - Sampras
    Golf - Jack
    Swimming - Phelps
    Gymnastics - Comăneci
    Volleyball - Karch Kiraly (best name also)
    Soccer - Pele to Maradona to Messi to C Ronaldo
    Boxing - Ali
    Figure Skater - Witt
    Speed Skater - Heiden
    Skiing - Killy
    Baseball - Babe Ruth
    Football - Reggie White
    Track - King Carl or Bolt
    Basketball - Jordan
    Hockey - Gretzky
    Tennis - Martina Navratilova
    Golf - Jack
    Swimming - Phelps
    Soccer - Pele
    Boxing - Ray Robinson
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    Marciano did not fight any great fighter in their prime.
    Cobb played a hundred years ago in the discrimination era.
    I did debate Sugar Ray Robinson.

    Trust me I know who Ty Cobb was, honest!
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    I see your view of the world is limited to the USA

    Wilt - agreed - I remember seeing him in Detroit at Cobo Arena as the Lakers were playing the night before the NCAA Indoors started. I stayed at the same hotel as the Lakers. When I arrived the lobby was jammed packed with female groupies - "skinny Maori boy in the corner ladies - damn - no takers"

    Owens - Disagree - As I assume you are referring to his long jump exploits I find your choice strange as he doesn't IMO come remotely close to Lewis or to Jan Zelezny or to Viktor Saneeyev

    Anderson - Disagree - For me, I go with Vasily Alekseyev

    Myers - great record but as no one actually competed in track in those days it was not too difficult for a moderately talented athlete to dominate the sport
    To do what Owens did in the long jump in the short period of time he was in the sport, amazing!!!!!!! And his WR stood for over 25 yard.

    Ya have to look at when Anderson was the strongest man in the world.

    For Myers to do what the did in all those different distances really is remarkable. I can;t hold his era against him.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •