Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    Yes, Ledecky will wait until September of 2016 to enter Stanford. She wants the time to train for Rio.
    I think there are chances that she will never swim for Stanford, depending on how well things go next year in the Olympics. Wouldn't it make more sense to turn pro, and attend college on her sponsors' money?

2. Collapse Details

I'd heard that US Swimming chose the World Champs team last year with the result that (youngsters like Ledecky and oldies like Phelps notwithstanding) the 'old squad' represented in Kazan while the 'new squad' was at Nationals.

I'm sure the US squad in Rio will be far stronger.

3. Collapse Details

Thanks Vault-emort, I vaguely remember hearing about their selection process which included Phelps going to Worlds until his suspension from a DUI.

The rest of the World has come on strong and yet the US still "won" the medal standings. This future team will come loaded for bear in Rio and yet the days when the US had multiple medals in almost every event is gone. Just too many great individual performers world wide with many training in the States as well.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    Wouldn't it make more sense to turn pro, and attend college on her sponsors' money?
    The gist of this article is . . . no. Even for a Katie Ledecky.

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...ional-swimmer/

excerpts

BEING a professional swimmer is tough. I know more than a few professional swimmers who need to work full-time or multiple jobs in order to support their training. . . . Swimming has historically been an amateur-only sport, and it is only relatively recently that it has come to be dominated by a top tier of professional athletes. . . . there is little money to go around, and much less for the athletes once administrative and sports development costs are taken out of the coffers.
    There isn't a whole lot of swimming equipment to sell.
    For this reason, companies in the business of selling to swimmers like Speedo, TYR, Arena, and Finis will not be able to justify the expense of pursuing and sponsoring many athletes. This pressure is felt by top athletes who have fewer choices among potential sponsors. . . .
    These days, even a world record often isn't enough to woo the sponsors.
    Swimming is not yet a spectator sport.
    Right now, the best way to support oneself and still get the needed training is to find part-time work to pay the bills and supplement it with small deals or agreements that may only consist of products or services.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lexvid View Post
    I look at her exploits as being more Beamonesque/ Bolt-like compared to other WR breaking athletes like Phelps. She's put the 800-1500 m records out of reach by any other swimmer for the next decade.
    Sounds more like Bekele.

6. Collapse Details

Much harder to put swimming records out of reach for an extended period of time. I am wondering why there are not more comparisons to prior standard setters that stayed on the record board for a long time (e.g., Evans).

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lexvid View Post
    It would be unrealistic to expect swimmers to perform at World's AND US Swimming Championships. World's would take priority for the best swimmers just like it does in Track and Field.
    T&F athletes have to compete in both nationals and WCs; why is it unrealistic for swimmers to do so?
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...