Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    World Records at the Olympic Games
    Set up a world record at the Olympics is a great feat. Some athletes even have done this (in individual events) twice, for example Usain Bolt and Irena Szewinska. Also Florence Griffith-Joyner. In mexico 1968 in the triple Jump, two athletes have done it: Victor Saneyev and Giuseppe Gentile. There are more examples, I'm sure. But, who can name an athlete who has set THREE WORLD RECORDS (individual) at the Olympics? To look up is not allowed...

2. Collapse Details

Hannes Kolehmainen, sort of; WR in the 5000, WR in the 3000, a "WR" in the 10000 that wasn't really a WR at all but was (I think) recognized as one anyway, and an amateur world best in the marathon.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    Hannes Kolehmainen, sort of; WR in the 5000, WR in the 3000, a "WR" in the 10000 that wasn't really a WR at all but was (I think) recognized as one anyway, and an amateur world best in the marathon.
    OK! Really have forgotten about this 3000m event in 1912.

I was thinking about a much more recent example.

4. Collapse Details

OK, since not much interest in this, at least I should give the answer I was looking for: In Munich in 1972, Ludmila Bragina set a new 1500m WR in the heat, in the semi and in the final. As far as I know a unique feat in the history of athletics. For sure the event was held for the first time in '72 and the level of the record was relatively low coming into the games. But still a performance worth mentioning I think!

5. Collapse Details

In a related vein, dealing with the SHORTEST reign as a WR holder, there have plenty of field event occurrences of this within a meet, but I believe at least once, a heptathlete ( maybe decathlete, but the hep rings a bell ) has completed the 800 ( or 1500) for a new hep or dec WR, but within seconds or even less someone else hits the tape for more total points.

If this happens, does ( did ) the first finisher get any WR credit ?!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    In a related vein, dealing with the SHORTEST reign as a WR holder, there have plenty of field event occurrences of this within a meet, but I believe at least once, a heptathlete ( maybe decathlete, but the hep rings a bell ) has completed the 800 ( or 1500) for a new hep or dec WR, but within seconds or even less someone else hits the tape for more total points.

If this happens, does ( did ) the first finisher get any WR credit ?!
    It was the 1980 women's pentathlon final in Moscow. First three finishers broke the listed world record, with the first finisher of the 800, Olga Kuragina, placing third in the event, and the winner, Nadiya Tkachenko, finishing third in the 800 but first overall. Second place finisher Olga Rukavishnikova was second in the 800 and the pentathlon. Richard Hymans may correct me, but I think only Tkachenko had her mark ratified by the IAAF as a world record. Kuragina's "WR" stood for 1.2 seconds, and Rukavisnikova's "WR" stood for 0.4 seconds.

7. Collapse Details

Aki Järvinen and Jim Bausch also did that in Los Angeles '32; Järvinen broke the WR first, and then Bausch (finishing 30 seconds later) broke the new WR. In that case at least I believe only the Bausch mark got the official IAAF stamp.

said88 - it was a good question, but not an easy one!

8. Collapse Details

The marks of Kuragina and Rukavishnikova were not officially recongized as WRs, either.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

9. Collapse Details

Not fair ! Why not recognize them ? No harm, no foul...

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    The marks of Kuragina and Rukavishnikova were not officially recongized as WRs, either.
    Recognition or ratification is irrelevant, given the circumstances of how their performances came to be (all on the same day). The fact that their final scores were better than the previous WRs, even for such an infinitesimal time as they were, is relevant in the public eye. Again, too bad they all came in the same event on the same day.