Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I'll second that. I love hearing your "ramblings" and would read your bio the day it came out. You also answered my ? on another thread (I haven't checked) about what tribe you came from.
    Amen! Not only do I enjoy his posts about himself, I've also made a point to save the pm's that he's sent me over the years in which he "rambled" about himself.

2. Collapse Details
    Smile
    bambam, I summarized my Choctaw/Creek/Comanche heritage on the "long time t&f fan thread". Will not repeat it here.

Jazz, I guess that makes you my historian/biographer.

3. Collapse Details

Two of my great-great grandmothers were supposedly full-blooded Americans, but I don't know which tribes (I guess that makes me 1/8th (12.5%) American). Do you know which tribes were dominant in North Louisiana in the mid to late 1800's?

4. Collapse Details

Possibly Choctaw and Caddo

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Two of my great-great grandmothers were supposedly full-blooded Americans, but I don't know which tribes (I guess that makes me 1/8th (12.5%) American). Do you know which tribes were dominant in North Louisiana in the mid to late 1800's?
    I believe the Caddo were dominant in N La and E Tx in 1800s.
    Choctaw primarily in SE Ok. Chickasaw in south central Ok, Cherokee in NE Ok, Seminole squeezed in Central Ok. Creek (Muscogee) in East Central OK
    Last edited by lonewolf; 07-22-2015 at 11:15 PM.

6. Collapse Details

so how were those tribes different from one another?

7. Collapse Details

The "Five Civilized Tribes" were all displaced from SE quadrant of North America beginning circa 1840. Prior to that they were displaced by European immigration in the SE and in turn the more powerful tribe shoved others aside. Many Seminole stayed in Florida and many Cherokee in North Carolina. Choctaws lingered in Mississippi.

The tribes differed in language, tribal customs and dress: some tribes were more agrarian, some more nomadic. There was ,inevitably, tribal intermarriage and merging but I don't believe there were distinctive physical differences.

In my case, the first Indian ancestor I can identify is Chief Buie (Bowie) late 1600s-early1700s, earlier characterized as Muscogee (Creek) and later as Choctaw.. My paternal grandfather was Choctaw, born in Mississippi in late 1800s among Trail of Tears stragglers.