Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Question for all long time track and field fans.
    I've been an avid track and field fan since age 12 in 1956. And the change in my ability to access results today is mind boggling. Back in the 50's and 60's the only way I could get current results of meets was to hop on my bike and ride a few miles to the library in Santa Ana (California) and hope that I could find the issue of the L.A. Times that was the day after. Contrast this with today...at home in the comfort of my living room I can get live streaming results, video's of the races and post event interviews of the athletes...all at the click of a mouse!

Anyone else experience this difference? I'd like to hear how you other long time fans used to get results, back in the "dark ages".

2. Collapse Details

Exactly the same experience. I would go to the library 2 days after a big meet and read about it in the LA Times.

Now I'm so spoiled it really irks me when results don't pop up immediately after each event is over. And my real pet peeve is the irksome links that take you off the links page. I LOVE the timing services that you click on a link on the column on the left and see the results on the right 2/3s of the page.

3. Collapse Details

My local paper growing up was considerably deficient in reporting anything in the way of track results (this was Eastern Canada in the early 80s). Sometimes they'd list Olympic results without times. The best source of results for me was finding an issue of "Athletics", the Canadian equivalent of T&FN. It generally focused on (duh) Canadian results, but devoted a few pages to international stuff too.

4. Collapse Details

I, too, grew up in Southern California and relied on the L.A. Times for results. Once I started my subscription to TFN, I was able to get a lot more results (even if they were several weeks old).

5. Collapse Details

Cannon!
    You started looking for stats a few years before I did.
    By the time I got hooked the Tustin High library had an LA Times edition that I scoured, especially one day a week (I'm thinking it was Thursdays) when the sports section would have a tiny agate print box with the national HS leader lists.

Seems like there was always some awesome, highly suspect mark that we who cared about such things would agree was beyond credibility. Usually something like 9.5 time for 100 yds. in an exotic place like Van Horn, Texas.

Of course we knew in those days no one ever bothered to collect, much less report, timing and wind info so any great HS meet mark was arguable.

I remember Coach Tom Noon dismissing out of hand an early season 100 yd time of 9.7 by a kid in our league reported in the OC Register. "No one runs that time in the 100 with such a slow 220 (somewhere around 23 seconds as I recall) on the same day."

The kid was named Fred Kuller. A year later he was on the National Team for the USA/USSR meet. LOL

6. Collapse Details

I was in England in high school in 1954 when I heard of Bannister's sub 4.......3 weeks after it happened. In the pre computer days I too would go to the library to read the L.A. Times, and that was in Salt Lake City. Today if I miss something I can usually find a tape on YouTube.
    Being able to watch Dibaba live on my TV was truly one of my "life of Track" highlights. Still I almost missed it. The lights kept going off in a thunderstorm and the damn Comcast box takes 5 minutes to reboot....3 bloody times until 2 minutes before the race. What I would like to have happen before dementia creeps up is to be able to see any movie or TV show ever made with one click.

7. Collapse Details

Hey, jc203...yeah, wasn't Fred Kuller on that USC 4 X 100 team that broke the world record in Provo at the 1967 NCAA. I was at that meet...also saw Dennis Carr place second to Wade Bell in the 800 and Jim Ryun run a smokin fast final 200 to win the mile over
    Roscoe Divine. Great memories!

I think I get your 203 that's your HJ PR 2.03, right?

8. Collapse Details

Since the weekly newspaper on the reservation did not have a sports section and covered very local competition only, I got my track news of the outside world from next years World Almanac.

9. Collapse Details

In England in the 50's there was a great Track mag called "Athletics Weekly" put out by the McWhirther brothers. I had 100's of them. Unfortunately my Mother In Law tossed them when I was in the military. I also remember getting my first TFNews in 58? Dallas Long in HS the big story.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
    Hey, jc203...yeah, wasn't Fred Kuller on that USC 4 X 100 team that broke the world record in Provo at the 1967 NCAA.
    It was actually 4x110 yards. And yes, Kuller was the second leg on that team. After the third leg was charged with a much-publicized homicide, the track jokesters referred to that USC team as McCullouch to Kuller to Killer to Miller.

25 years later, the LA Times did a piece on Kuller.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-05-...1_world-record