Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    USATF Championships attendance trends
    My particular data set I spend far too much time analyzing is attendance. These days, TV ratings matter far more than attendance, but getting that information for past years isn't easy, so I look at the numbers I can get.

This week's attendance so far...
    Thursday: 8,762
    Friday: 9,081
    Saturday: 10,116

It's good for a USATF meet, but very average for a USATF at Eugene. Some of that may be attributable to the extreme heat.

Attendance where known from 1980 to present:
    http://dailyrelay.com/wp-content/upl...dance-data.pdf
    I've got some info for before 1980 but it's a bit more difficult to find, and figure that as a work in progress.

The four-day attendance record for a (non-Olympic Trials) USATF Championships is 47,738 at Sacramento in 1995. The only other total above 40,000 is Eugene '11 (40,851). This week will probably total 38,000-39,000.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Of course all attendance figures (and I disparage nobody in particular, meaning ALL) need to be taken with many grains of sodium chloride.

3. Collapse Details

Right. There are lots of accounting procedures: how many people came through the door, vs how many tickets did you sell, vs how many tickets did you distribute (including passes for athletes, support personnel, and media). And I don't remember when the junior meet was first run concurrently with the senior meet, but that has its effect as well. It's almost like looking at 100m times without a wind gauge.

But I think it's useful to have a database to look at, and there are a few big trends.
    1) The USATF meet has never generated as much interest as the NCAAs.
    2) A championship meet is well-received the first time it comes to a city (or at least when it's the first time in a long time) but interest declines rapidly in subsequent years.
    3) Sorry BillVol, but attendance at USATF/NCAA meets in Knoxville has been horrid ever since Chuck Rohe left coaching.

4. Collapse Details

I was at an outdoor event outside of Corvallis yesterday and today. It was brutal. If I were a casual fan, I'd have had a rough time getting motivated to go to the stadium yesterday after suffering through friday heat.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AyZiggy View Post
    My particular data set I spend far too much time analyzing is attendance. These days, TV ratings matter far more than attendance, but getting that information for past years isn't easy, so I look at the numbers I can get.

This week's attendance so far...
    Thursday: 8,762
    Friday: 9,081
    Saturday: 10,116

It's good for a USATF meet, but very average for a USATF at Eugene. Some of that may be attributable to the extreme heat.

Attendance where known from 1980 to present:
    http://dailyrelay.com/wp-content/upl...dance-data.pdf
    I've got some info for before 1980 but it's a bit more difficult to find, and figure that as a work in progress.

The four-day attendance record for a (non-Olympic Trials) USATF Championships is 47,738 at Sacramento in 1995. The only other total above 40,000 is Eugene '11 (40,851). This week will probably total 38,000-39,000.
    The heat and the availability of the meet on streaming or TV likely kept some people away.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Sunday 10,746

4-day total: 38,795.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I was at an outdoor event outside of Corvallis yesterday and today. It was brutal. If I were a casual fan, I'd have had a rough time getting motivated to go to the stadium yesterday after suffering through friday heat.
    You guys in the Pac Northwest don't know heat. I remember about 1997-98 the US Junior Olympics were in Raleigh and Scott Davis was announcing and I went over to Raleigh to help spot for Scott and spend the day with him. It was in July. His opening remark to me, when he saw me, was, "How do you people live in this heat?" It was a typical July NC day - about 95-97 degrees with 80-85% humidiity. The answer to Scott's ?, by the way, is - air conditioning.

I still miss Scott.

8. Collapse Details

Amen and amen, Bill. Scott was simply the best.
    Air conditioning, escalators and iced tea... the essentials of good livin'