Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    It sounds to me like Salazar consciously dances on the edge of the rules ..
    Im trying to find a coach with great success that doesnt take it as his duty to operate on the edge.
    Last edited by user4; 06-25-2015 at 05:57 PM.

2. Collapse Details

expat, you are making interesting comments and seem a nice addition to the board, thanks.

3. Collapse Details

seems to me there is personal attacking done by both sides now and historically. Kara Goucher getting caught (it seems) between husband and Alsal and Sal being a bit petty about it - with Olys around the corner. Some might say business as usual. I haven't heard or read too many with glowing regard for the Al Sal approach to interpersonal relationships. Save Mo, Galen, and a few others. I am pretty sure all of that will play out when/if court proceeding ensue. The flight #s must say something. Yet I agree with the gents who said innocent until guilty. I'm afraid there has been some irreparable damage to contend with

4. Collapse Details

Epstein comes at this with a peculiar agenda of his own. Although he has no pertinent Ph.D credentials and could not write a scientific paper on "genetics" that would pass peer review, he does pass himself off as a "sports scientist". He wrote a book "the Sports Gene" in which, in the usual layperson way of conversing about genetics, he asserts that the statistical success of Kenyan runners demonstrates their "genetic" superiority to white runners.

Now, if one has staked one's public and professional "scientific" reputation on this assertion, and Galen Rupp comes across the Olympic finish line ahead of all the runners with Kenya on their singlets, it's an affront that demands a public rectification. The only possible explanation must be that Rupp is doing drugs to overcome the Kenyan runners' "natural" "genetic' superiority.

This is not to say that any particular allegation Epstein makes is or is not accurate. But it is the context.

5. Collapse Details

@26mi235: Thanks! I've lurked for years intermittently but only occasionally comment. I like the community here.
    @player: Interesting. Social use and understanding of genetics is part of my work (though I'm not a credentialed geneticist, more an anti-eugenicist). Just saying "sports gene" gets my hackles up. That kind of genetics is basically all statistical, so it's hardly surprising that outliers like Rupp appear; Bekele is an outlier too!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    @26mi235: Thanks! I've lurked for years intermittently but only occasionally comment. I like the community here.
    @player: Interesting. Social use and understanding of genetics is part of my work (though I'm not a credentialed geneticist, more an anti-eugenicist). Just saying "sports gene" gets my hackles up. That kind of genetics is basically all statistical, so it's hardly surprising that outliers like Rupp appear; Bekele is an outlier too!

Expat, I suggest reading the book. Player completely misrepresents its contents.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
    Expat, I suggest reading the book. Player completely misrepresents its contents.
    I will refer you to Mr. Epstein's own synopsis in a promotional piece for his book and let others conclude whether I misrepresent.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallel...s-best-runners

He jumps from a statistical data point (number of Kenyans who have run sub-2:10), to an assertion about "innate biology" (leg shape/weight), to the conclusion (and this is the crux) that he can go to an Olympic start line, measure the ankles and calves of the participants, and predict who is likely to win.

This is classic overstepping by a "popular" writer, pretending/presuming to be "scientific" and unconstrained by peer review. And when Rupp gets to the finish line before the guys with the twig legs, it is a refutation Epstein does not suffer well.

Adding to the picture is Epstein's assertion that he met academics who had evidence of "genetic advantage" for Kenyans but were "afraid" to share it with him. Again, I let others judge.

8. Collapse Details

Many Kenyans have a genetic advantage, but I suspect that Daisy (too busy to be posting lately, a Brit with a genetics specialty and who is probably right now at the annual set of genetics meetings (Cold Springs Harbor?).

9. Collapse Details

What advantage did Rita Jeptoo have? Was it genetics?

10. Collapse Details

Saying that more Kenyans have a genetic advantage than Americans, does not say that top Kenyans are systematically above the top few Americans - If that is what he is saying then he just simply does not understand the area he is seeming to want to be claiming as a semi-expert. In that case, completely disregard what he has to say in that domain, and treat as suspect anything that he is citing because he cannot be expected to be an unbiased reporter but, instead, someone with an agenda.