Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

gh is this big enough of a story to get the doping forum opened?
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Second link now on home page; loooooooong piece by David Epstein, who worked with the BBC on the Salzar piece, in ProPublica
    It doesn't illuminate much more than the shorter article. What the overall tenor of the article is that Salazar pushes the rules to the edge and uses every advantage in gaming the system. Illegal... maybe not. Unethical? Rupp was tested 28 times. How many times were other athletes tested?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    It doesn't illuminate much more than the shorter article. What the overall tenor of the article is that Salazar pushes the rules to the edge and uses every advantage in gaming the system. Illegal... maybe not. Unethical? Rupp was tested 28 times. How many times were other athletes tested?
    Why do people still think negative tests are indicative of anything?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Oh sh*t. Let's hope this is false.
    My thoughts exactly. I followed AlSal's career from a distance, but with interest, having run with his older brother at the Naval Academy. If Al is anything like his brother, and it seems through the years they have many similar qualities, he is fiercely competitive, a prodigious worker, willing to try just about anything to get an edge, BUT a man of integrity and absolutely intent on never crossing any doping line.

His fierce desire to win, and the us-against-the-world approach he brings to the NOP team, makes it easy to assume the worst when it comes to these allegations. This will obviously play out on several fronts, and it may be that Alberto has crossed that line. But his commitment to try just about anything to help distance runners bridge the gap with East African runners should not make him guilty until proven innocent.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
    Why do people still think negative tests are indicative of anything?
    It's not that they are negative, it's that he's been tested that often when many top athletes are rarely tested.

6. Collapse Details

Prefatory comment: I'm skeptical about everybody while trying not to let it affect my enjoyment of the sport.

As far as the BBC's agenda, the game is to cast aspersion and attention everywhere except current British athletes with British coaches and support. American coach: fair game. British athlete from 35 years ago: fair game.

But will you see any in depth investigation of Mo Farah's relationship with Barry Fudge? Don't hold your breath. Fudge is Mo's physiologist; Fudge does all Mo's blood work, by Mo's own account. Could Salazar be doing anything "funny" with Mo that Fudge wouldn't know about? No chance.

BBC would have you believe that the source of all evil is on the other side of the pond. Seem to recall some close-to-home athletes going down before Commonwealth Games last year; but no breathless, recycled headlines about that.
    Last edited by player; 06-03-2015 at 08:28 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    BBC would have you believe that the source of all evil is on the other side of the pond.
    I suggest that, for most of the UK, Farah is the only reason to pay attention to Salazar. Sounds like they have no dirt on him, but they have to have known he'd be dragged into it.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    I suggest that, for most of the UK, Farah is the only reason to pay attention to Salazar. Sounds like they have no dirt on him, but they have to have known he'd be dragged into it.
    I'm not sure "no dirt" is his ex-athletes and staff feeling the need to report him for possibly doping. That's a genuine amount of dirt even if there isn't a smoking gun to show

9. Collapse Details

This was obviously supposed to be an expose of Mo but they didn't have enough evidence.

Rather than the BBC trying to cast aspersions anywhere but at British athletes I would suggest the intent was anything but. They just couldn't make it stick.

As for athletes being caught before the CG's that was headlines news in all the press.

The UK media love to go to town on a drug scandal, especially one involving a British athlete.
    Last edited by Flumpy; 06-03-2015 at 09:41 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by eldanielfire View Post
    I'm not sure "no dirt" is his ex-athletes and staff feeling the need to report him for possibly doping. That's a genuine amount of dirt even if there isn't a smoking gun to show
    He meant no dirt on Mo not Salazar.

There's plenty on him.