Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Prefontaine starters
    Surprised there's not already a thread on this; maybe I missed it.

There's a 10,000 on the Friday-night schedule, but no entries listed yet. I guess it's not a big feature like when Kenya used it for its trial race.

The 5000 Friday night looks awesome -- no Mo or Gebrhiwet, but note the presence of Ibrahim Jeilan, twice World medallist in the 10 and defeater of Mo in 2011. He used a series of 5000s in 2013 to get ready for Moscow. I wouldn't count him out for Beijing 10.

The women's race lineup is even more spectacular, with "Baby Baby" vs. Ayan and Vivian Cheruiyot (performers 3-5 AT if you count indoors), plus steeplechaser Ayalew and Sentayehu Ejigu, who has been running mostly on the roads since 2011 but ran 14:28.39 for 2nd at St. Denis in 2010 and also 9:27.05 behind Jenny Simpson's AR at Boston indoor.

Bowerman Mile has a large field, including Kiprop, Kiplagat and Souleiman, who among them won five of the seven DL 1500/Mile events last year.

M 800 -- note Nijel Amos and Taoufik Makhloufi

W 400 -- Felix vs. SRR and McCorory, et al

M 200 -- Gatlin, Edward and Ashmeade, plus Anaso Jobodwana, fresh of NR 20.06 in Georgetown 16 May

W 800 -- Brenda Martinez races for the first time since Drake, has two sub-2:01s so far, plus PoisTOgova, who edged Ajee Wilson for 5th in Moscow, and Abeba Aregawi, who looked bad in Doha 1500.

W 1500 -- Seyaum, Doha winner, is missing, but Simpson and Rowbury, plus Maryam Jamal, two-time world champion, who may have something left in her, and Emma Coburn challenge Hassan.

M SC -- Most of the Kenyans, including E Kemboi this time, and Evan Jager.

M 110H -- Most of the Shanghai field, plus Martinot-Lagarde and Parchment

W JT -- Spotakova 2015 debut

M HJ -- Barshim but no Bondarenko; Protsenko and Drouin also 2.40 men.

M PV -- Lavillenie and bro

M SP -- the usual stellar field

Very light on women's field events.

Is USATF streaming Friday night?
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

2. Collapse Details

I'll put my own perspective on what Alan said.

W-400
    This will be THE Summit Meeting of America's finest!
    Can't wait!

M-200
    Gatlin could win by at least two-tenths of a second!
    19.6 to 19.8 (for Ashmeade)??
    But with it being in Eugene, 50-50 chance of it being wind-aided!!

W-800
    Alan left out Alysia Montano, who had the fastest split at the World Relays, a 1:58.6.
    She could be ready to return to the 1:57's, with her usual front-running 56 first lap!

W-1500
    She won't win, or even be close to winning, but many (most?) eyes will be on HS student Alexa Efraimson.
    Yes, she's a Pro, but she's still just an 18 year old High Schooler.....as was Alan Webb in the 2001 Pre race, when he also went up against a World Class field, including the All Time best, Hicham El Guerrouj!!
    Her coach, Mike Hickey, says she can run 4:02!
    But will anyone go sub-4?
    And will an American win it all?

M-SC
    Will Jager finally go sub-8:00?

W-JT
    Why isn''t Kara Winger in this field?
    She's having a great year, and deserves to be here!

Also very curious as to who's in Friday's 10K.
    And why isn't there a 10K for women too??

Thanks, Alan, for starting this thread!

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    the link to the entire current start list is on the front page

4. Collapse Details

It is too hard to comment on almost every competition. Every single one has something good to look forward to. I am salivating over watching the Men's mile and 5,000 . . . and the women's races as well. Damn, I wish I could be there! Maybe next year I can finally make the trek up there.

5. Collapse Details

usatf.tv will be streaming Friday night.

The 10k start list isn't out yet but Geoffrey Kamworor, the World xc champ who many regard as the top threat to Farah, will be running and I presume there will be a number of other top international runners looking for their WC qualifiers.

For Americans, Diego Estrada mentioned on his twitter that he is in. I will be very surprised if Chris Derrick isn't in the field since he needs a WC qualifier.

The boys' high school mile also isn't published yet and is supposed to be out Tuesday. Maybe the 10K will as well.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I'm quite confident you'll be well satisfied with the 10K field.

7. Collapse Details

Tease !

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by odelltrclan View Post
    It is too hard to comment on almost every competition. Every single one has something good to look forward to. I am salivating over watching the Men's mile and 5,000 . . . and the women's races as well. Damn, I wish I could be there! Maybe next year I can finally make the trek up there.
    This is the best part of the year. Once you get to July some of the mystery has been solved but right now most of all events are a mystery.

9. Collapse Details

Re the 10K field, and pending the other shoe dropping, I am more heartened than teased.

10. Collapse Details

So with the meet only four days away, is there a reason they haven't announced the 10K field? Is Pre running?