Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
  1. Collapse Details
    Justin Gatlin second leg?
    #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    936
    As we know there are those who excell on that leg, Leroy Burrell, Bernard Williams, Glenroy Gilbert, Ato Boldon, Daneil Sanguoma,Michael Frater and Justin Gatlin. But.....shouldn't he be running the anchor leg?

    Let's just assume Bolt is in 9.75 shape, who else do we have who could hold him off if close?

    And if we do run Gatlin on the anchor what do we do with Ryan Bailey? Has he ever ran a second leg? How about Bracy, Bromell?
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Speed is fungible on 2nd, 3rd and anchor legs, where you get a running start. The reason why Jamaica runs Bolt on anchor and not 2nd is because of his lack of baton skills, not his footspeed.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    61,012
    there's a school of thought (one to which I subscribe, if for no other reason than that's how my HS coach preached the gospel) that you put your fastest guy/guyette on leg 2 for the simple reason that they can take the baton early and hand off late and produce maximal speed for more than 100m on the straightaway.

    Remember that Germany used Armin Hary, who had earlier in the meet won the 100, on the second leg of the Rome 4x1 and set a WR (even if they crossed the line behind the U.S., which was DQed for…. yeah, you know what).
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    GH, I agree with your school of thought (2ng-leg-receive-early-pass-late) on the high school level where it's not uncommon for one runner to be a second faster than other members of the team, but for nations like Jamaica and the U.S., who can put four sub-9.9 guys on the track, I believe all three exchanges should be made as late in the zone as possible. If I were a relay coach, my inclination would be to put left-handed runners on second and anchor legs if all other things were equal.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    there's a school of thought (one to which I subscribe, if for no other reason than that's how my HS coach preached the gospel) that you put your fastest guy/guyette on leg 2 for the simple reason that they can take the baton early and hand off late and produce maximal speed for more than 100m on the straightaway.

    Remember that Germany used Armin Hary, who had earlier in the meet won the 100, on the second leg of the Rome 4x1 and set a WR (even if they crossed the line behind the U.S., which was DQed for…. yeah, you know what).
    I'm into that...long second leg...thing. And Gatlin is perfect in that role, but I keep seeing Bolt running down Bailey. Yes I know without Gatlin on that...long second leg...he wouldn't have had the lead.

    As we know without Blake or Frater who does Jamaica have on their second leg that Bailey/Bracy/Bromell? can't handle? Not many countries have a 9.95ish cat there.

    Armin Hary, yep, that's right.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    GH, I agree with your school of thought (2ng-leg-receive-early-pass-late) on the high school level where it's not uncommon for one runner to be a second faster than other members of the team, but for nations like Jamaica and the U.S., who can put four sub-9.9 guys on the track, I believe all three exchanges should be made as late in the zone as possible. If I were a relay coach, my inclination would be to put left-handed runners on second and anchor legs if all other things were equal.
    I;m not wanting my two slowest sprinters with stick in hand the same % of the race as my two studs. I don't want 4x 25%
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    23,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickson View Post
    I;m not wanting my two slowest sprinters with stick in hand the same % of the race as my two studs. I don't want 4x 25%
    Then you do not understand the difference in speed at 30 meters vs 20 meters in comparison to the difference between high-level sprinters. Your 10-flat guy 10-20 meters from his start point is not going as fast as the 10.3 sprinter still at almost maximum speed.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Then you do not understand the difference in speed at 30 meters vs 20 meters in comparison to the difference between high-level sprinters. Your 10-flat guy 10-20 meters from his start point is not going as fast as the 10.3 sprinter still at almost maximum speed.
    I ran the 4x1, ok? We used that long second leg approach. Our two fastest sprinters on second/anchor. You can talk to my coach about all that.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,357
    You put your 200m runners, or at least those in the team fastest over 120-150m, on second leg. Leg 2 is the perfect leg for Gatlin.
    This was the GDR model (Kich, Wockel, Drechsler, Krabbe) that worked for years.

    Other things to consider are the obvious; who can run a bend well; who can start; who can or cannot exchange and who does or does not benefit from a running start. Look at Devers in 93, after her clear win over Privalova in the 100m, without the benefit of a block start she is beaten on the last leg in the 4x100m. Similarly, someone like Arron could easily run down women meters ahead of her without the hindrance of a block start.

    Bailey showed that, with enough of a lead, he can beat Bolt. Perhaps Gatlin will give him that lead. He now has the confidence that x meters gap he can hold.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella2 View Post
    You put your 200m runners, or at least those in the team fastest over 120-150m, on second leg. Leg 2 is the perfect leg for Gatlin.
    This was the GDR model (Kich, Wockel, Drechsler, Krabbe) that worked for years.

    Other things to consider are the obvious; who can run a bend well; who can start; who can or cannot exchange and who does or does not benefit from a running start. Look at Devers in 93, after her clear win over Privalova in the 100m, without the benefit of a block start she is beaten on the last leg in the 4x100m. Similarly, someone like Arron could easily run down women meters ahead of her without the hindrance of a block start.

    Bailey showed that, with enough of a lead, he can beat Bolt. Perhaps Gatlin will give him that lead. He now has the confidence that x meters gap he can hold.
    Bailey showed that he can hold off a Bolt in May, he will be something else come August.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •