Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Good, good man. I'll miss him. He used to stop in Durham when driving (!) from Austin to New York and we would have dinner (often with Jim Spier) and talk track for hours. Didn't dream he was 87 yo - he looked much younger.
    I agree. If my memory is correct, Sports Illustrated had an article about him 50 years ago. He had a great sense of humor.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by GleasonTom View Post
    I agree. If my memory is correct, Sports Illustrated had an article about him 50 years ago. He had a great sense of humor.
    http://www.si.com/vault/1965/08/02/6...ng-old-records

http://web.archive.org/web/200807220...20dunaway.html

3. Collapse Details

Donley,

When I learned of the Pick-N-Win fantasy contest (just after Jim had won it in March 2008), I began picking his brain for tips about strategy. It must have helped, as I came in 3rd for the 2008 outdoor season, and received a bunch of overpriced swag from USATF. On a number of phone calls, he mentioned his respect for your skills at the contest. He kept tabs on his competition.

Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    Seeing some info about an empty seat at the Texas relays in honor of Jim on the Texas relays result site prompted my memory. I never met Jim, but he called me back in 2008 when we were both in contention to win the USATF fantasy game (which he won). I found it very cool that he would call some random guy he did not know basically just to shoot the breeze about track and field in general and the fantasy game in particular. Clearly the kind of guy that was enjoyable to be around and talk with.