Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Good, good man. I'll miss him. He used to stop in Durham when driving (!) from Austin to New York and we would have dinner (often with Jim Spier) and talk track for hours. Didn't dream he was 87 yo - he looked much younger.

2. Collapse Details
    Jim Dunaway, RIP
    Was saddened to learn that Jim Dunaway had died recently. I first met him at the 1972 Olympics in Munich, a Games that was marred by the Black September attack on the Israeli team. I also recall Jim at the European Championships at Rome in 1974. During a lunch break, the British Team Chief, Sir Arthur Gold, stopped by the press tribune to chat with British journalists and an impromptu conference began. Gold was defending his selection (and non-selection) choices on the GB team when Jim suddenly asked, "You wanted Alan Pascoe off the British team roster didn't you?"
    The gentlemanly tone of the meeting suddenly changed. Sir Arthur blanched visibly and went into a rage. He started spluttering; shouting that he had never wanted any such thing, and demanding to know who his accuser was. When Jim told him, he replied, "Well Mister Delaware, I resent the poison in your accusation!" He then stormed off, muttering to himself.
    That was Jim Dunaway - never afraid to ask the question none of us Brits dared to ask Sir Arthur Gold who we knew disliked Pascoe because the athlete was often openly critical of the British Amateur Athletic Board, which ran the international side of the sport in Britain back then.
    The following day, Alan Pascoe won the 400 metres hurdles title.

3. Collapse Details

The guy who wrote the T&FN account of Bob Hayes' gold medal run at Tokyo 1964. Winner of USATF's inaugural Visa Pick-N-Win fantasy contest (2008 indoor season). He hated track liars (people who inflate their marks) and loved exposing them. One of the few U.S. journalists who attended and wrote about the T&F events at Moscow 1980. Someone who wanted to help preserve the history of the sport. A great colleague, always willing to share info and stories with stat fans that were somewhat younger. I already miss him.

4. Collapse Details

Some years ago, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department in the late fall would release hatchery trout into the Guadalupe River between Austin and San Antonio. I have a friend who's an avid fly fisherman. He was down there catching some of the trout, and got to talking a stranger who claimed that he would have been on the 1980 U.S. Olympic track & field team except for the U.S. boycott. Well, of course, there WAS a 1980 U.S. Olympic track & field team chose by Olympic Trials that only sent team members to the White House and not to Moscow. The friend had acquired the name of the stranger, who most definitely not on the team. I reported this to Jim, to whom it was something typical. He probably had a mental storehouse of comparable frauds he'd encountered over the years.

5. Collapse Details

Anyone know name of funeral home or date/time of memorial service?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by pecos251 View Post
    Anyone know name of funeral home or date/time of memorial service?
    I've been told there will be no service in Austin. There will be celebrations of Jim's life at various meets around the country this spring. I knew Jim for almost 50 years and knew how great he was. But to see the outpouring of love for him from around the world is truly amazing. We should all be so lucky.

7. Collapse Details

In addition to the several editorial obits for Jim, there is an official obit here
    http://hosting-22183.tributes.com/ob...away-102301782
    that includes his wishes for charitable memorials.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Shaffer View Post
    In addition to the several editorial obits for Jim, there is an official obit here
    http://hosting-22183.tributes.com/ob...away-102301782
    that includes his wishes for charitable memorials.
    Jim Dunaway would have been the first to notice that in the heading at the top of that page, his date of death is listed as May 15, 2015. He would have had a wry comment about that, too.

9. Collapse Details

Seeing some info about an empty seat at the Texas relays in honor of Jim on the Texas relays result site prompted my memory. I never met Jim, but he called me back in 2008 when we were both in contention to win the USATF fantasy game (which he won). I found it very cool that he would call some random guy he did not know basically just to shoot the breeze about track and field in general and the fantasy game in particular. Clearly the kind of guy that was enjoyable to be around and talk with.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    Seeing some info about an empty seat at the Texas relays in honor of Jim on the Texas relays result site prompted my memory.
    The reference is to this tweet:

https://twitter.com/UTexasTrack/stat...42928942202880