Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Some more 4x400 questions
    At 1974 European Athletic Champs, 3rd placers Finland were apparently disqualified. For what ?
    Next does anyone have the first name of Anding, an East German athlete who figured in there squads during 1975.
    As usual any help is very much appreciated.

2. Collapse Details

France filed a protest against Finland on the grounds that the Finnish anchor, Kukkoaho, had supposedly shoved the French anchor, Demarthon. Though the protest was initially accepted, I'm 99% sure that Finland were subsequently reinstated and got their medals in the end; there are sources on the interweb that claim otherwise, but I think they're in error.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dadme View Post
    At 1974 European Athletic Champs, 3rd placers Finland were apparently disqualified. For what ?
    According to the EC history book from 2010:
    Finland, who had finished third, were disqualified by the judges, who believed their athletes pushed both the Soviet and French athletes successively.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dadme View Post
    Next does anyone have the first name of Anding, an East German athlete who figured in there squads during 1975.
    As usual any help is very much appreciated.
    Michael Anding from SC Motor Jena.

5. Collapse Details

FWIW, gbrathletics.com (my primary go-to source for historical medal info) shows Finland with the bronze.

6. Collapse Details

Matti Hannus in his definitive history of Finnish athletics, published in 1999, notes that the Finnish team did indeed win the bronze medal.

7. Collapse Details

Thanks everyone. Questions answered gaps filled.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rhymans View Post
    Matti Hannus in his definitive history of Finnish athletics, published in 1999, notes that the Finnish team did indeed win the bronze medal.
    The Spanish book that I quoted above seems as authoritative a source on EC history as any, and it lists the Finnish team as DQ.

9. Collapse Details

Seems to me there are two ways to settle this: We could ask aaronk's russian twitter lady, or, and this is a long shot but worth a try, you could look up the result in the official statistics handbook for Zürich 2014, which includes complete results for all ECs (in case you are too lazy to look it up or didn't download it: Finland DQ).

10. Collapse Details

The book I'm referring to is the official stats handbook for the 2010 edition of the EC, only it's much more extensive than this year's version.