Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: 800m workouts

1. Collapse Details
    800m workouts
    My son is transtioning from xc season and is training for the 800m. Does anyone have a challenging go to workout or a series of workouts to get him ready in a hurry. His first meet is in two weeks.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBiscuit View Post
    My son is transtioning from xc season and is training for the 800m. Does anyone have a challenging go to workout or a series of workouts to get him ready in a hurry. His first meet is in two weeks.
    Whoa, big horsie! There is no hurry! Take the long view and transition to 1000-meter intervals a couple of times a week, at a pace just a little faster than his XC races. When he's used to the new speed endurance, he can run some 600 intervals a little faster. Aim for a low build-up in speed, not a sudden one. Continue with some longer run days at tempo pace.

Rome wasn't built in a day!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Whoa, big horsie! There is no hurry! Take the long view and transition to 1000-meter intervals a couple of times a week, at a pace just a little faster than his XC races. When he's used to the new speed endurance, he can run some 600 intervals a little faster. Aim for a low build-up in speed, not a sudden one. Continue with some longer run days at tempo pace.

Rome wasn't built in a day!
    Thanks LOL! I didn't expect him to be running pb's, just some workouts to start transitioning into his first race of the season. He trained for the 400m during the summer and took a couple weeks off. he then trained for Cross Country during Sept, Oct November. Now switching to 400/800m. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

4. Collapse Details

IMHO, i'd let him run the 1st meet before doing anything different than he was doing in xc, as he needs some time to transition. Also, no serious speed training would occur for xc runners until after the new year either, so they can recover and get their track legs under them. Real racing indoors doesn't begin until the end of Jan anyway.

5. Collapse Details

thanks, he is still at the age where he isn't specializing yet. So, his meets consist of anything from the 60m, 200m, 600m or 800m, including some field events in the span of two days. In one year he will start specializing and he prefers the 400m and maybe the 600m or 800m as well. So he trains fairly generaly for various distances. I am always looking for training that can help him.