Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    If the race had been held at sea level the only thing that would have changed would be that Keino would likely have smashed the WR with Ryun still a distant 2nd.
    Hah! So easy to take a wild guess. Question if Keino was capable of a WR why did he not get one later in his career? I could just as well postulate that had Ryun not been tripped in 1972 he would have creamed Keino and Vasala.

2. Collapse Details

I am only referring to his performance at that time on that day. Most pundits believe that running a 1500m at that altitude resulted in times several seconds slower than they would have been at sea level.

Who knows why he never approached that form again? Doesn't really matter. But on that day in Mexico City he ran a race that I believe was worthy of a WR if the race had been at sea level.

3. Collapse Details

The world record at the time of the Mexico City Olympic Games was 3:33.1 by Ryun. Keino's race in Mexico was fantastic and he did what he had to to beat Ryun. Had the race been run closer to sea level, who knows what would have happened? Same is true in the 5,000 and the 10,000.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    The world record at the time of the Mexico City Olympic Games was 3:33.1 by Ryun. Keino's race in Mexico was fantastic and he did what he had to to beat Ryun. Had the race been run closer to sea level, who knows what would have happened? Same is true in the 5,000 and the 10,000.
    On the other hand if Keino had not run the 10,000 on Oct 13, the 5,000 on Oct 15-17 +1500 heats and final on Oct 18-19-20 he might have taken Ryun's WR at 7000 feet of altitude and all!

5. Collapse Details

That's true.

6. Collapse Details

Keino was unofficial world best record holder of 1500m at high altitude for many years. I believe some Kenyan broke it three years ago at the Kenyan trail going 3:32s.

7. Collapse Details

I believe Keino's best Mile time was also set at altitude. At the 5,000 and 10,000 he appeared more "human"

8. Collapse Details

Had anyone ever heard of Ben Jipcho prior to that race? How would he have done, and how would it have played out, if he hadn't sacrificed his chances as Keino's pacemaker?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by GHM View Post
    Keino was unofficial world best record holder of 1500m at high altitude for many years. I believe some Kenyan broke it three years ago at the Kenyan trail going 3:32s.
    Many years, yes, but not quite as long as you suggest. Moses Kiptanui ran 3:34.0 in Nairobi in 1992.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...