Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    October 20, 1968 - Forty-six years ago today
    On this day in 1968 Kip Keino upset Jim Ryun in the 1,500 meters at the Mexico City Olympics. For those of us who remember that day, which came as a bigger shock, Ryun's loss or the news that came about an hour later that the widow of John F. Kennedy married some guy named Aristotle Onassis?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiOhio75 View Post
    On this day in 1968 Kip Keino upset Jim Ryun in the 1,500 meters at the Mexico City Olympics. For those of us who remember that day, which came as a bigger shock, Ryun's loss or the news that came about an hour later that the widow of John F. Kennedy married some guy named Aristotle Onassis?
    To those who noted Ryun's sub par health and form in 1968, it was not such a big upset. As I recall, 2-3 of the (non US) experts in the preview issue of TFN, picked Keino over Ryun.

3. Collapse Details

I saw the race in Mexico City and knew that Ryun was not at his best (like 1966-67), but it was still a shock to see Keino take such a big lead and go on to win.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    I saw the race in Mexico City and knew that Ryun was not at his best (like 1966-67), but it was still a shock to see Keino take such a big lead and go on to win.
    My experience exactly. The lead he had was insurmountable...even with Ryan's famed kick...which wasn't the same due to mono and hamstring injury in 1968. I remember well watching the race on the TV in the dorms at BYU...my heart sank because I knew that Ryun was better than Keino 9 out of 10 times...but not on that day.

5. Collapse Details

Remarkable in hindsight that our disappointment with Jim Ryun's performance at Mexico City and his enigmatic career thereafter was tempered with genuine concern about his physical and emotional well being.
    Like my friend BYU grad, most of us were heartsick at Ryun's bad luck and and really pulling for him find his way back to the levels he'd previously achieved.
    We liked the guy and admired him.

Contrast that with the new media age and the bitter invective that was heaped upon the next HS and and national mile record holder.
    When Webb faltered, forty years after Ryun, every second guesser with access to a computer was spewing venom at poor Webb. People seemed to be pissed off, as if he had personally let them down.

Such is life in the digital brave new world...

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BYU grad View Post
    Ryun was better than Keino 9 out of 10 times...but not on that day.
    Not that year he wasn't. Ryun was so young and unbeatable and so FAST in 67, none of every thought the crash would come so soon.

7. Collapse Details

Ryun was still the second best in the world on that day in October, 1968 and he was gaining on Keino even at over 7,000 feet in elevation. Keino had too much of a lead going into the final lap.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    Keino had too much of a lead going into the final lap.
    I wish it were as simple as 'too big a lead'. Had Ryun kept close to Keino, he would have finished even further back as his oxygen debt would have betrayed him.

9. Collapse Details

But Keino's last 300 was faster then Ryun's, 41.5 to 41.8 + the fact that he beat Ryun by 3 seconds. There was nothing Ryun of 1968 could do about that.

(this was response to DoubleRBar's posting)

10. Collapse Details

If the race had been held at sea level the only thing that would have changed would be that Keino would likely have smashed the WR with Ryun still a distant 2nd.