Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    His first instance was ruled NOT to be a case of doping
    Will you please stop saying this. It's entirely untrue. In fact quite the opposite happened.

Time and time again his legal team tried to get it dismissed and continuously failed. Not only was it ruled a doping case but it was also specifically stated that if he failed again that it would result in a lifetime ban.

I quote...

"On 22 May 2002, Mr Gatlin submitted an application for early reinstatement to the IAAF Council. At it's general meeting of 3 July 2002, the IAAF Council granted the request on the basis that it believed that Mr. Gatlin had a genuine medical explanation for his positive result. In doing so, both the IAAF Council and the USATF press release emphasized that he had committed a doping offense and that it would constitute a first offense for the purposes of any subsequent result and warned that a lifetime ban would result from a further infraction of the IAAF rules."

When his lawyers contest the first ruling and try and have it overturned CAS wrote.......

'Mr Gatlin was reinstated by the IAAF after the 2001 AAA Panel's decision was issued. It has been argued by Mr Gatlin that the reinstatement meant that the 2001 AAA Panel's decision no longer had any effect, such that it in fact became a nullity.

It is clear that the IAAF Council's decision to reinstate Mr. Gatlin was based on it's understanding that he committed a first doping offense. Indeed, Professor Arne Ljungqvist states:

"My proposal to the Council was to reinstate Mr Gatlin with immediate effect whilst making it clear that, as this was to be considered as a first offence, if he tested positive again, he would be banned for life in accordance with IAAF Rules. Although I recall that some Council Members may have disagreed with me and felt that he should not be reinstated, my advice was followed by the vast majority and the decision was duly taken to reinstate him."

It follows from Professor Ljungqvist's statement that it was not the intention of the IAAF Council that the early reinstatement of Mr Gatlin should render the 2001 AAA Panel's decision a nullity. Indeed, the Panel cannot find any grounds for reaching such a conclusion.'

It's one thing to support and convicted drug cheat, you can welcome him back and think he's served his time but can you please not try and rewrite history.

Even a cursory glance at the facts in question can easily prove his first instance most certainly NOT overruled and that his second should have resulted in a lifetime ban.

2. Collapse Details

Give up flumpy. 26mi365 has already petitioned the Vatican to have Gatlin canonised.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    Give up flumpy. 26mi365 has already petitioned the Vatican to have Gatlin canonised.
    In all fairness, a stimulant taken since early childhood for ADD is hardly a PED. Not declaring it was stupid and damning.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

4. Collapse Details

And kids on ADD meds learn early on that they have to take the meds on 'auto-pilot' or they will miss them routinely because that is the nature of the situation. I know from having been a test case in the 1950s and now having a son missing routinely because it is not on 'auto-pilot' yet. I do not know where in the chain of declaring things that are automatic come in; I did not think of the meds in the same way I thought of other things I would start and stop taking.

I have never stated that he did not commit a doping offense. But committing a doping offense and being designated as actually doping are two different things; the former is a technical violation that puts a mark into the record regardless of the intent or effect. Pego can go in to the issue of whether something of that type would actually be advantageous; I believe he has a record of some length on that topic.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 1runner1 View Post
    If he is clean now why come down on him for things that he has paid the price for.
    For a number of reasons. The first is that he has never admitted to being wrong. The second is that many don't believe that he started using After winning gold in '04 & '05. Couple those together with the credibility of the person he tried to blame and the camp within which he was training and it is easy to see why many have misgivings. And, does anyone know how what should have been a lifetime ban became an eight year ban which in turn became a four year ban?
    Regards,
    toyracer

6. Collapse Details

I've never ever made a dumb mistake and I'm sure nobody else here has either....right?

When I mow lawns for a few elderly neighbors I claim that $$$ on my taxes and I'm sure all of you would also. I even claim yardsale $$$$$. No doubt you would too.

Gatlin is a great sprinter in a world where everyone is...'is he/is she". Hell, the minute we see anyone run a time far superior to their prior PR it's...."hmmmmmm?"

Let it go people, damn! Take Gatlin out of it and this sprint season would have totally sucked. The King of the sprints is too ...."gotta save myself for bigger better things, I'll run on the beach"...sheesh~~~~

A sprinter runnning better than ever at 32 is it? What's that tell us about his attitude/need to excell? I love his attitude, the guy is a warrior. If Asafa Powell had a little of that...grrrrrrrrrr!!..he might have actually won something.

Usain Bolt had better stay out of the hot tub (commercial), get off the beach and get real serious next season, if he doesn't he's in trouble.
    Last edited by Dixon; 09-08-2014 at 04:42 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    In all fairness, a stimulant taken since early childhood for ADD is hardly a PED. Not declaring it was stupid and damning.
    I agree; and it was even stupid and more damning to then graduate onto the real McCoy. And as toy racer and many others wonder "did he embrace McCoy before 2004?" The odds suggest probably.

However, notwithstanding that, he has had a season for the ages in 2014; no denying that.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    However, notwithstanding that, he has had a season for the ages in 2014; no denying that.
    Agreed. Excluding the world records, how does Gatlin's season compare with a great Bolt or Blake season?
    Last edited by Dave; 09-08-2014 at 09:17 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon View Post
    I've never ever made a dumb mistake and I'm sure nobody else here has either....right?
    Owning up to the mistake(s) is what helps to make a difference...
    Regards,
    toyracer

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    His first instance was ruled NOT to be a case of doping and if he was not a poor 18-year old college student it probably would have been dropped as even a technical offense. Anyone that slams him as a two-time PEDs guy is either ignorant, and there is little excuse, or essentially lying to make a point.
    If that incident was on it's own and Gatlin's second hadn't been connected with BALCO then you would have a point. I should add most Western European countries do not have the American college systems of USADAs history of soft touches or looking for any excuse to let athletes off or lighten their bans.