Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Smg007 View Post
    Got that right. I think it's a blatant slap in the face and the iaaf basically calling us stupid not thinking we would think something was funny about him receiving indoor and outdoor marks for this race. And if you check the website, he's the only one from the race who was awarded and outdoor mark!
    Also, apparently this race is more valid than his actual outdoor race in Rio.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    I'm no structural engineer, but I'm guessing that to keep the air fresh in a big cavern like that it takes some big-ass fans effecting some serious movement.
    Perhaps an unintended plug for a company that specializes in such air movement.

http://www.bigassfans.com/for-busine...indoor-sports/

3. Collapse Details

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Per Andersen View Post
    Yes, All I care about is that he ran 9.98. Pretty much an exhibition and no competition. Indoors or outdoors? Who the hell cares? Maybe he can get down in the 8.8s this season.
    While that 8.8 is a typo, it's also a great parody of some posters here, who insist he's always on the verge of blasting the WR down again.

5. Collapse Details

I commented earlier this year that the last two years at the USATF Indoor in ABQ that there have been winds strong enough to blow papers off my desk. Function of in/out temperature gradient and people opening doors.
    In such a large enclosed venue, the largest fluctuations in air flow will be at the boundaries -- that is, near the doors. So, what you saw isn't really a surprise. The wind gauge placed as far in shouldn't really have measured anything above random noise. This suggests that either 0.6m/s is standard noise (supported by some research), or that there were issues with the gauge.

By the way, why was there even a wind gauge at an "indoor" event? Also, the title of the thread needs adjusting: this is a world *best*, not a world record.
    Last edited by JRM; 08-24-2014 at 04:07 PM.

6. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    There really should be an outdoor 50m race run from time to time.

7. Collapse Details

So, the Q of the day - suppose an indoor mark had a +2.1w because the wind-gauge was in a draft from the big-ass fan? :-)

8. Collapse Details

I commented earlier this year that the last two years at the USATF Indoor in ABQ that there have been winds strong enough to blow papers off my desk. Function of in/out temperature gradient and people opening doors.

I remember when the Astrodome first staged its big meets in the early '70s, there were comments about wind. I'm no structural engineer, but I'm guessing that to keep the air fresh in a big cavern like that it takes some big-ass fans effecting some serious movement.

Note also that the readings are about half a meter per second; the kind of thing you might not even feel.
    If I'm not mistaken, there was one meet, sometime in the 1990s, where the results of a 55m race (or was it 60m?) were disallowed for record or listing purposes because one or more people opened up doors behind the starting line (presumably an emergency exit or cargo entrance), which allowed a big wind to enter the arena, strong enough that it had to have been faster than +2.0. I don't remember if there was a wind gauge inside the place.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    While that 8.8 is a typo, it's also a great parody of some posters here, who insist he's always on the verge of blasting the WR down again.
    Sure, I clearly meant a possible 9.89. After a "basic" 9.95 a 9.89 would not be outrageous in Zurich. But now it won't happen anyway.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Also, apparently this race is more valid than his actual outdoor race in Rio.
    Really? How is that?