Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

The official results show the mark with a wind of -0.6. How can there be any wind in an indoor facility? Why did they even turn on the wind gauge?

2. Collapse Details

This reminds me of two friends of mine: Bo and Gus.

3. Collapse Details

If it's supposed to be the indoor world record, why is the iaaf marking him 9.98 for outdoor on their website? He also seems to be the only one getting the outdoor mark for it.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Smg007 View Post
    If it's supposed to be the indoor world record, why is the iaaf marking him 9.98 for outdoor on their website? He also seems to be the only one getting the outdoor mark for it.
    Well, for one thing, it really IS an outdoor track, whose stadium happens to have a retractable roof, which they closed just for this farce.

5. Collapse Details

Isn't this a temporary track inside a football stadium?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    The official results show the mark with a wind of -0.6. How can there be any wind in an indoor facility? Why did they even turn on the wind gauge?
    Hey! It's a big place! The bigger the place, the more likely there will be enough of a residual wind that it needs to be measured.

7. Collapse Details

As everyone comments whys, hows etc....

remember this is Usain Bolt were talking about.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    As everyone comments whys, hows etc....

remember this is Usain Bolt were talking about.
    Yes, All I care about is that he ran 9.98. Pretty much an exhibition and no competition. Indoors or outdoors? Who the hell cares? Maybe he can get down in the 8.8s this season.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Well, for one thing, it really IS an outdoor track, whose stadium happens to have a retractable roof, which they closed just for this farce.
    Got that right. I think it's a blatant slap in the face and the iaaf basically calling us stupid not thinking we would think something was funny about him receiving indoor and outdoor marks for this race. And if you check the website, he's the only one from the race who was awarded and outdoor mark!

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I commented earlier this year that the last two years at the USATF Indoor in ABQ that there have been winds strong enough to blow papers off my desk. Function of in/out temperature gradient and people opening doors.

I remember when the Astrodome first staged its big meets in the early '70s, there were comments about wind. I'm no structural engineer, but I'm guessing that to keep the air fresh in a big cavern like that it takes some big-ass fans effecting some serious movement.

Note also that the readings are about half a meter per second; the kind of thing you might not even feel.